locked tyre thread

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Having had my Xantia HDI estate sideways whilst at 50 + mph going around a corner with ditches on both sides. I now know the problems of having inferia tyres on the rear. You only find out when it really matters. :twisted:
I try to ensure that all the tyres on the car are of good quality and to be honest it is a small price to pay for saftey. Rant over, happy and safe motoring!!!
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
fivelighters
My Cars:

Post by fivelighters »

jeremy wrote:Can someone tell me how to become immortal?
use the force jeremy use the force 8) 8)
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

:shock:

I've just walked in from getting two new boots fitted to my Synergie(!). The grease monkey fitted the new ones onto the front wheels, and promptly swapped the lot round. So, the new ones ended up on the back. He said that he does this to all cars unless the car in question is fitted with different 'J' rims front and back, or he is told not to by the owner. Approved Citroen Repairer. Go figure :roll:
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I don't want to prolong the agony of this thread by contributing further posts, you've pretty much made up your own mind about whats safe and what isn't, I just hope that if the worst happens you live to tell the tale, a car going sideways into oncoming traffic or a solid objet like a tree, will kill its occupants much easier than in a head on, where a car is designed to take serious impact.

When I replied to the original (now locked) post, I did so because of a personal experience of how dangerous shyte tyres are on the back, when you have just put shiney new grippy ones on the front, and believe me when the circumstances are right you don't have to be going that fast to experience an unwanted sideways manouver.

This was my experience (if the link works) with a tyre that was supposedly renowned for wet performance, well they may have had enough grip for a monkey to hang on to, but they sure as hell couldn't make my 205 hang on when it rained.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=1072

Dave
deian

Post by deian »

It should be pointed out that tyres are only as good as the road surfae,

You could put amazing tyres on an oily wet road with a bad camber or hit some black ice and the tyres become worthless!!!!!

Beyond professional technical advice you can only use care and common sense to prevent an accident!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

To hopefully put this one to bed with a spot of humour thrown in, I'd like to mention a comical affair that happened to me a few years back. (Wasn't funny at the time) :evil:
I was driving back from Brisbane in a Mazda E2200 panel van (Transit style) when I came into this large country town that is built in a valley. As I am coming down the hill, as I approach a set of traffic lights, they go amber so as I was almost on them, I accelerate through. On the approach to the intersection, there a dip in the road to allow the water to run across in wet weather and although it was dry, there was what appeared to be water in it, so I innocently just ran through it..............then I discovered what it was and what someone had just rolled around the corner; it was a 200 litre drum of diesel fuel that had obviously fallen of a truck and ruptured. As the van came over the rise on the intersection, the transfer of weight sent this top heavy beast off camber and away she went; almost 3 X 360s. Fortunately the road was dual carriageway with a garden style wide centre area and no cars parked on my side and having done a fair amount of racing, rallying and at one time a back up driver for a non professional stunt driving team, I had a fair amount of experience in handling spinning cars, but never one that had no grip on any wheels, so basically, although I was in the drivers seat, I was in reality just a passenger and as Dave says; not pleasant. I pulled up at the local Cop Shop to report it to some very unconcerned copper who took a sudden interest when I advised him that I'd wait at the station to be a witness when someone got killed there in the next few minutes if he didn't go and close the road, which he then promptly did. :oops: :oops:

Alan S :shock:
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
watsoft
My Cars:

Post by watsoft »

Dave

I drive a Saxo. The crumple zone is the whole of the car, so I'm in deep doo doo which ever way I hit the oncoming traffic!

I would say that the choice of tyre is much more critical that which end you fit them. I've also found that different brands work better on different cars; Dunlop for mini's, Uniroyal for Nova's an Michelin for the Saxo. Worst tyre ever was a Dayton on a mini...it drove like a shopping trolly in the wet! As a rule of thumb I keep away from the cheap, cheap tyres now. I guess there are bargains to be had, but I'd rather not risk it!

Thanks for your opinion I will consider it before I fit my next set of boots!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I know I dont post here very often now (since I dont currently own a citroen!) but, in my experience, if you have crap tyres on the front, the car generally doesnt like going round corners in the wet. I find having the decent tyres on th front to be of advantage. (one of my previous cars had decent tyres on the back, and the front ones were nearing replacement time, when I went round a corner, and the car decided to carry on straight, smashing into the fiesta coming the other way - although not much damage, Id rather it hadnt happened in the first place) I now swear by putting the newer tyres on the front, then when they wear down, swap them with the backs, when they are all worn out, I change the lot all at the same time. I also find, towing a trailer alot of the time, having not so bald tyres on the front gives me a hell of a lot more grip than having them on the back. I guess however, if the car was rear wheel drive, then the good tyres might be better off on the back of the car. I know this is all against the general opinion, but in my own experience, it works for me, and since the "incident", always seems to have done.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

Not wanting to be controvertial. I believe that the majority of insurance claims made involve running in to the back of someone. I think it is something like 50%. Since this is the most common accident then the best tyres should be on the front to minimise risk. I rarely drive in a manner that is likely to cause the back end to go, but grip on braking I would class as always top priority.

Personally Braking more quickly I regard as far more important than being able to corner quickly with confidence.
2002 C5 V6 Exclusive auto LPG
1997 Xantia TD SX £200 bargain
1993 Xantia DLX (now dead)

Then after a 10 year Citroenless gap

1995N Xantia Activa
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Ive always put the new tyres on the back, Then when ive worn the fronts down the tyres from the back end up on the front to finish there service life off.

If you leave the tyres too long on the back ( a few years ) they age & the sidewalls start cracking up / tyre goes hard & that is a dangerous situation to be in because you don't know when its gonna let go.

I want the back end of the car to follow the front, I don't want the front to have loads of grip & the back end give up half way round a corner.

If the front is sliding on cornering either the speed is too high or the tyres need replacing, You can soon work out which it is.

Once my tyres get to around 3mm they get changed, I want the tyres to grip, They are the ONLY thing between the car & the road surface, I would never let a tyre wear down as to have an effect on braking or cornering.
deian

Post by deian »

3.0mm is the limit in france, my cousin went for a driving holiday by himself there and had to get two brand new tyres to cover himself in case he gets stopped there. And a warning triangle is compulsory there.

I believe british government are thinking of upping the limit from 1.6mm too.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The trouble with minimum tread limits is that its a bit arbitrary - some tyres can be well worn but still grip reasonably well. I remember taking one of my old BX's for an MOT, it had four Michelins on, all worn down to just a fraction over the legal limit. The MOT tester sucked through his teeth and told me that there was no way he would pass the car with those tyres on, even though they were technically still legal. If someone tried that with me now I'd probably tell them where to go - either they're legal or they aren't ! But anyway I gave in at the time and he sold me four new cheapo brand "Mabor" tyres for about £30 each.
I've have never known a BX to handle as badly as that one did with those tyres on! In the dry they were just about ok, in the wet they were very very scary. In snow they just spun with the car hardly moving. The almost worn out Michelins were far superior than those horrors even with about 7mm of tread. After about a year I couldn't stand it any more and went to another tyre place and had some decent ones put on. The tyre fitter tried to talk me out of it "What's wrong with these, they look nearly new?" Yes, but they've almost killed me about 3 times :shock:
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

MOT bloke should of passed it with an advisory about tyres nearly worn to legal limit & need replacing.

If he failed it & the tyres where legal, Asking for an MOT appeal form would most likely make him change his decision & show you aint gonna buy 4 new tyres from his garage.

But really you should never had let the tyres get that worn in the first place.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

PowerLee wrote:MOT bloke should of passed it with an advisory about tyres nearly worn to legal limit & need replacing.

If he failed it & the tyres where legal, Asking for an MOT appeal form would most likely make him change his decision & show you aint gonna buy 4 new tyres from his garage.

But really you should never had let the tyres get that worn in the first place.
The garage in question went bust 6 months later, with the owner (who was also the MOT tester) losing his house, so I suspect his insistance that I immediately buy 4 new tyres had more to do with him trying to pay his mortgage than any concern for my safety!
This was about 15 years ago when I hadn't been driving long. I wouldnt let my tyres get into that state, or get ripped off like that now, hopefully.
Bananaman
My Cars:

Post by Bananaman »

jeremy wrote:Can someone tell me how to become immortal?
According to Wowbagger the infinatly Prolonged it involves an elastic band, a time macine and a cup of coffee....

I have 4 mismatched and incredibly poor tyres on the BX yet its roadholding is superb. Thankfully I was talked out of buying some Goodride tyres.