Citroen ZX - what's it like to own please.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stu R

Citroen ZX - what's it like to own please.

Post by Stu R »

Hi,
I'm continuing my on going search into finding a replacement for my 205D. Though I like the 306 D you do tend to pay a bit more for them.
So I'm seriously looking at ZX TD's as you can get high spec models like the Volcane at good prices.
I realise as opposed to the 306 the insurance bands are a bit higher, but other than that I wondered if any current or past owners could tell me of any particular things to look for on a car or in the history.
I think the only major differance is the rear suspension, with the passive steer, is this an issue on an older ZX.

Thanks, :D Stu.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

The volcane is the only one that tends to have the high insurance because of the 2.0 petrol (is that correct?) because it flies. However I thought that zx's were cheaper to insure than the 306's down the range.

Regarding the rear suspension, as long as their are no creaks/groans/thuds coming from the back while driving AND the wheels are not leaning in /---\ then there shouldnt be too much to worry about.

Arent zx's quicker too than 306's because their lighter, plus the interior of 306's look about 20 years older compared with zx's. :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

I had a Volcane TD for 6 years.

Better than my current Xantia.

Quick and cheap to run.
Never had any major problems.Look out for oil leaking at the back of the engine and as already mentioned a clonk from the back
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Volcane is really a trim level - available both petrol and diesel powered. Lower suspension and stiffer springs for a more sporty ride - and higher insurance!

ZX's are great! The TD is real hoot, and they're criminally cheap really. Yes a bit more expensive to insure than a 306, but half the cost to start with.

With them getting on, the main problem areas are:

Rear subframe mounts. Most will be knocking from the rear by now. New mounts are about £50 and half a day to fit - transform the handling. (Walk away from anything with squeaks at the rear, or wheels leaning in - that will be time for a replacement subframe!)

There are a couple of rust traps (front and rear inner wings) but not too bad.
Rear brakes on drum models could be due a rebuild by now - the cylinders like to leak (disc braked models are much better - you get this as standard on Volcane models, and some lower spec models - like our Avantage with ABS).
Dash bulbs probaly need doing, but this is only a couple of knuckle scraping hours.
The clutch is the nasty pull affair and goes heavy with age. Changing it takes most of a day, but figures of only £200 have been bandied about recently (personally, I'd view this with a lot of suspicion - just changed the clutch in ours and the parts came to £125 - and it took 2 of us about 8 hours.....)

They're pretty simple to work on, and not many fancy electronics to go wrong. Not the same quiet m-way cruiser as a Xantia, but plenty of smiles around the twisty bits, and can embarass many more modern cars!

Of course I never get to drive ours, 'cos my wife monopolises it, and complains the Xantia TD is slow. Wait till I get the HDi 110 and chip it though :twisted:
Richard W
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

If you want a car that can be relied on to get you where you want to go, in comfort, and at very low cost. Then buy a ZX 1.9D.... With or without Turbo's they are extremely reliable.... :) :)

Apart from the items already mentioned, one good check to make is --- With engine cold.. remove the filler cap, then replace it.. run the engine for 30 seconds, and remove the cap again, if you hear a loud 'hiss' when doing so, the head gasket is probably gone :( .. In this test silence is golden! :D :wink:

Personaly I would, and do, recomend a ZX 1.9 diesel to anyone looking for a reliable car..
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My wife has a ZX td estate with which she has been very pleased and in two years I have done nothing to it apart from changing the oil, but it was a low mileage and well looked after example. My son recently bought a volcane which he liked a lot apart from the suspension whch he thinks is unneccesaraly hard as he says the standard ZX handles well anyway. It is now lying dejectedly in our garden as the engine blew up about a month after he bought it, not that I think this is a common problem problem as it developed a sudden and catastrophic oil leak, but he still likes the car and we are tyring to source another engine for it.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I own a ZX petrol 2.0 8v and I can only say "relliable". Never in life has it left me stranded.

Of course, it has started to show its age (worn drop links, dampers, brake discs, balljoints) all that are consumables.

But the engine, with all that torque, runs smoothly since you have no need to rev it to high to get power.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

Hi
my 1994 ZX Volcane Td is just coming up to its 5th birthday with me.
I paid £3500 for it in 2001 with 2 owners ,full history and 72,000 miles on it.
It now has 141,000 on the clock and I have enjoyed every minute of owning it.
Its nippy,frugal,and the handling is excellent.
It has gone through discs,rear subframe mounts,balljoints,calipers,driveshafts and
radiator but is still on its original clutch and suspension and the engine
has only ever seen a spanner at oil,cambelt and glowplug changes.
It is by far the most reliable car I have had,including more recent Xantias Xsaras and other manufacturers offerings.
Try to buy a car from somebody who has owned it for years with history and is mearly upgrading.Try to avoid forecourt bangers no matter how cheap.
A search on ebay can turn up good ones but thay are getting fewer (I know as I am after another to replace my Xantia)
The 1.9 TD Volcane is as quick as the Volcane petrol model and you will get 50mpg at 55mph as I used to do on a 80 mile commute.
Insurance is a bit steep the TD Volcane is group 13 !!!
I love them......hope this helps
regards....Paul

ZX Volcane TD
Xantia VSX TD
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

My parients are on their second ZX did 200,000 miles in the first one (1.9D Advantage), costing them just £800 in parts in over 8 years, so was cheap and reliable to run. I use to use it before i had my own car for over a year and i got very use to it. But having had 3 Xantias my self now, i find the ZX very basic and not as comfortable as my Xantia when i drive it, infact i do not know how i ever use to drive a ZX.
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

But having had 3 Xantias my self now, i find the ZX very basic and not as comfortable as my Xantia when i drive it, infact i do not know how i ever use to drive a ZX.[/quote]

My VSX Xantia is slower,less economical, no handling,less rewarding to drive
and the seats are not as comfortable.

When it comes to toys my ZX TD Volcane has the same spec as the Xantia
except the steering wheel controlled stereo (hardly a reason to buy a car !

regards....Paul :wink:
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

ZX is an excellent car - handles extremely well. Brakes could be better though (Bendix front calipers are better and more reliable than the Girling alternatives) . 1.9d VERY economical (50-55mpg however you drive it) and the ride is about as good as it gets without going down the LHM route. TD is a "proper" turbodiesel with a real kick in the back when the turbo cuts in.

Miss my old bus...

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As the owner of a 1.9D (94) I can thoroughly recommend the ZX both from the reliabiliuty point of view as well as the comfort and driving. My wife still enthuses about the thing after 3 1/2 years, it looks nice inside and out and surprisingly still impresses her friends, many of whom buy new - and all for a cost of £1300 in 2002 and remarkably little ever since.
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I had my ZX 1.9D for a year and was great, didnt cost much to keep going but always seemed to have constant niggles (mainly down to door locks and windows) but never actually cost anything in reality.

Ive also driven my mates ZX 1.9TD and again was great and of course much quicker and again never needed any money spending on.

However after owning the bigger Xantia 1.9TD I much prefer the practicality of having a large car and also the slightly added comfort and space.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Stu R

Post by Stu R »

Sorry I took so long to reply,
thanks for all the great advice, very useful if I do find one in my area worth viewing.
The volcane is definatly higher insurance than say 306 Turbo D, apparantly due to citroens reputation for expensive parts :?
But as I've got some good no claims now I'll gets some quotes and see as they are much cheaper than 306's and I think the can look as good.

I completely agree with the piont about ZX interiors which are far better than Pugs aweful examples, they really seemed to go all out to produce the worst taste fabrics of the 90's.

The only question that I'm left with is should I go for a Turbo or not.
I don't mind my slow 205D and I'd like to keep the mpg. Am I right in thinking that the mpg is the same if you keep the revs down, and hence off the turbo? Would I be cursing not having a turbo if I got a 1.9D due to the increase in wait from a 205.

Cheers again, great stuff :D
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have both BX TD Estate (1750cc) and ZX 1.9D. Fuel wise I can't really tell the difference - so I wouldn't have thought there was a penalty for a 1.9TD.

1.9D ZX weighs the SAME as a TD BX Estate! (and is wider and has a worse steering lock! )

1.9D seems lively to drive and the lack of turbo is no real problem as it just feels very smooth and quite willing. Where you do miss it is if you want to overtake at 70 MPH uphill on a motorway. 1.9D will cruise at an indicated 90 for ever and in fact positively gets into its stride then.
jeremy