Xantia hdi amtek spheres, now all over the place. HELP!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

icedillon

Xantia hdi amtek spheres, now all over the place. HELP!!!

Post by icedillon »

My 2000 HDi started to become very bumby at a point where it could actually jump the front almost (like american pimped up rides). I changed the spheres - both front ones leaked with the wrong size seals so used old ones. All fluid leaked out, the rear ones were very hard to get off and the whole strut dropped with a splatter of fluid on the ramp cos I didnt have it jacked properly.

After changing all four, refilled reservoir and did numerous cycles of up down etc. The ride is now like floating in the air. When taking off in first gear and also when putting throttle on in a gear change, the front of the car comes up and the back goes down and then corrects while driving so you feel like you are on a magic carpet. When car is turned off in drive, you can bounce the front like its got no shockers!

I think the car is istting higher now whilst driving. back goes down after you turn off car

Spheres are Amtek from gsf, fluid is lhm plus type and overfilled slightly. The car doesn't exhibit problem of bouncing like before but u can tell that it is quite wollowy now and will bounce but in a dampened way!

Can anyone help me?
deian

Post by deian »

Obvious question here is: Do you have the right spheres?

Can you post the part numbers? And also your exact car (year, model, engine, spec, body type). Someone here will surely check them up for you.

Regarding the seals... i'd stick to the original citroen square type if they are in a good condition, also remember not to over tighten the spheres, they self seal when the system pressurises.

We'll take it from there.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When you fitted the new seals, did you fit them to the groove? If you put them on the sphere, they do tend to leak.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Iced -

Dont quite understand your problem ?
Is it the bouncing suspension when parked ?
Or is it the use of the new seals - which you already replaced with the old ones ?
Or ... ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've had something similar on my BX when the LHM has been changed - feels very bouncy and rather soft. Sadly it doesn't last and I expect the thing will feel normal in a few days as the LHM molecules mash up.
jeremy
icedillon

Post by icedillon »

ok guys heres the script.

The suspension is quite bouncy but not in a hard way, if the car is parked up you can also bounce it with your weight easily at the front (not tried back) end to end of strut. Also looked at the invoice and there is a problem with the Amtek Spheres:

GSF No N45366 (rear)
GSF No N45332 (front)

Are these the correct ones because I have had a look at the front spheres and the numbers do not correspond with the invoice, they say N45322 on the spheres NOT N45332 like on the invoice! Is this the problem?
icedillon

Post by icedillon »

btw fitted teh seals (old ones to the strut). New ones were too big!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

icedillon wrote:ok guys heres the script.

The suspension is quite bouncy but not in a hard way, if the car is parked up you can also bounce it with your weight easily at the front (not tried back) end to end of strut. Also looked at the invoice and there is a problem with the Amtek Spheres:

GSF No N45366 (rear)
GSF No N45332 (front)

Are these the correct ones because I have had a look at the front spheres and the numbers do not correspond with the invoice, they say N45322 on the spheres NOT N45332 like on the invoice! Is this the problem?
Thats not the right sphere for the struts...

N45322 SPHERE-FRONT CENTRE XANTIA CENTRE FRONT

The part numbers you quoted above are correct as long as your Xantia is a LX or SX, if its a VSX or Exclusive it will have the hydractive suspension which needs a different set of spheres.
icedillon

Post by icedillon »

well my model is a 2.0 HDi forte 2000/W, and it doesn't have any sport button for the suspension. So the front ones are wrong! Are the back ones right?

Where can I check the part numbers for spheres etc?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Numbers should be checkable on the GSF website (on-line shop)

also available on here:

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/

There used to be one in the downloads section on the GSF site but last time I looked it wasn't there. It may have been re-instated but life's too short to have looked again.
jeremy
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

GSF No N45366 (rear)
GSF No N45332 (front)

You betcha!!! :roll:

What you have are front Hydractive *centre* spheres.... Not only do these have much more pressure (70 bars instead of 55) but they have *NO* damping valves fitted... therefore your lack of damping, if you have fitted them to the struts.

If you compare the old and new spheres you should notice the original ones have a metal object in the neck of the sphere with holes in it (the damper valve) while the new ones you fitted will have the threaded neck hollow. (Damper valve missing)

It is in fact rather dangerous to drive the car in this condition at any kind of speed (like driving a normal car with the shock absorbers missing) so I would take them back immediately for a swap.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I had this happen to me. GSF supplied me with a sphere with a very similar part number, but in my case I got a strut sphere instead of a centre sphere, probably the safer way to make this mistake.

Luckily I noticed the error before I fitted it and took it back for replacement.

As Mandrake says, its very easy to tell as the centre sphere has a big hole in the middle as they are undamped whereas the corner spheres are fitted with a damping valve which only has a small hole in it.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Mandrake wrote:

GSF No N45366 (rear)
GSF No N45332 (front)

You betcha!!! :roll:

What you have are front Hydractive *centre* spheres.... Not only do these have much more pressure (70 bars instead of 55) but they have *NO* damping valves fitted... therefore your lack of damping, if you have fitted them to the struts.

If you compare the old and new spheres you should notice the original ones have a metal object in the neck of the sphere with holes in it (the damper valve) while the new ones you fitted will have the threaded neck hollow. (Damper valve missing)

It is in fact rather dangerous to drive the car in this condition at any kind of speed (like driving a normal car with the shock absorbers missing) so I would take them back immediately for a swap.

Regards,
Simon
OMG !!!! DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR WITH THOSE SPHERES !!!!!

Seriously it'll be downright dangerous. The weight distribution under braking/accelleration will be horrific.

You have no valve in the spheres. this is basically the same as driving a normal car with the shockers removed ... (It'll just bounce along dangeriously on it's undamped springs).

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)