ABS Confirmation!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

ABS Confirmation!

Post by mezuk04 »

Just received telephone call from me' BIL updating me regarding the ABS intermittent dash light.

He took it to a local garage (where he's been a couple of times) for a read out on the faults for the ABS. The chap said that their appears to be 3 abs fault read outs which he suggested is through the life of the car and that they have never been reset.

Guy reset it (ecu i guess?) and asked my BIL to return the car as soon as it displays the light on the dash which it did yesterday, he returned the car same day for another read out and it displayed just the 1 fault code which pointed to the "rear offside ABS Sensor".

The guy said it is about £70 for the sensor (guessing) and that inclusive of labour, £120 in total.

1st Question: Is £120 a reasonable sum for the replacement of 1 abs sensor and labour?

2nd Question: The guy says its a tricky one as the rear axel has to come off (not sure quite how much but thats what me BIL said). Is this the case?

Just off to the local dealer up at work to get a price for the part just for a guess.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Someone posted this not long ago...

"Is it a reasonable suggestion to ask for a sticky or even a locked topic to be put up at the top of the board for all 'new' and 'recent' members to be reminded that we need to know what car & spec it is they request help for "

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

EDIT - Just spotted it BIL must mean Brother in law and it says he has a xantia at the bottom
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you look at the GSF or Euro Car Parts on line shops you will be able to check the prices. From comparison with BX prices £70 sounds about right (+ VAT of course)

I think the fitting is generally similar to a BX but the routing of the wiring may be different. The procedure on a BX is to remove the wheel and brake backplate then basically destroy the old sensor as it will never come out of the hole. The wiring must then be deatched which means tracing and uncliping it from around the back suspension, pulling out a bung and having disconnected it under the seat, pull it out and replace.

I have no idea if the wire passes between the body and the suspension subframe on a Xantia, and if it does, if its possible to fiddle it between the subframe and the body.

Question really is what is his hourly rate and how long its going to take him. remember the VAT.

From the sound of it there is a broken or corroded wire to the back sensor. i have repaired 2 on my BX in situ. One has lasted about 6 years and the other failed in the sensor itself about 3 years ago. Repair is simply to VERY CAREFULLY solder a section of flexible (multiple centre strand) co-ax cable in place and insulate and protect it very carefully.
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Would have liked a couple of response for Xantia owners who have had their rear wheels off :cry:

GSF rear abs sensor is £61.69 including VAT.
Went to a Citroen dealer yesterday and he said theres two types for 96' one at £70 and one at £80 (inc VAT), but Im pretty sure its the more expensive one.

Isnt it funny how its the more expensive one !!!!!! What a complete lot of tommy rot!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the plug conecters on xants terminate on the top on each side rail of the rear subframe,not much room for your fingers but it is just about posible to get to unplug them,best thing is to trace the wires from the sensor end back up to the plug,and they do not go in through the car body like BXs do,you certainly do not have to lower the rear subframe as the mechanic said,and im sure GSF list them
regards malcolm
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Rear sensor has just arrived, so this is what one looks like.

Im very surprised they seem to fail quite easily, they look really robust.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its often the cables. On my BX I had 3 fail due to the outer insulation of the cable perishing and water getting through the cracks and corroding the quite substantial screen.

Interesting to get your old one and test it for continuity of the screen. Start at the plug, chose a point where the cable looks dirty and put a sharp probe through the cover. If that conducts go a bit further and so on.
jeremy