Synergie Exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sub42
My Cars:

Synergie Exhaust

Post by sub42 »

Anybody else got a Synergie?

Does your exhaust back box bang on the rear axle? I have now looked at about four or five of them, and they all look as though they make contact with the rear axle. It's the backbox, it seems to hang down at a silly angle. I'm beginning to think that the backbox has been manufactured wrong, almost like its too long or something.

Anybody else?

Mark.
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its not the front pipe too short forcing the back box up front against the rear axle ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
kevin1962
My Cars:

Post by kevin1962 »

Mine did this. It took me ages to work work-out what the sudden loud knock was. Have you reversed into something and pushed the exhaust back? I figured that this was the reason for mine doing it.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Re: Synergie Exhaust

Post by PowerLee »

sub42 wrote:Anybody else got a Synergie?

Does your exhaust back box bang on the rear axle? I have now looked at about four or five of them, and they all look as though they make contact with the rear axle. It's the backbox, it seems to hang down at a silly angle. I'm beginning to think that the backbox has been manufactured wrong, almost like its too long or something.

Anybody else?

Mark.
Does it have a Citroen back box fitted or an aftermarket copy?

Had this problem before on a couple of cars where aftermarket back boxes hit the surrounding bodywork / suspension.
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

Thanks for the quick response folks!

I think that the answer may be in the fact that it is an aftermarket backbox. It's an Arvin one, and it was new just before I bought the car in Nov 05. Anders, I can see your point about the front pipe, and the answer is that if I pull the backbox out a little (inside the sleeve that joins the mid section to the backbox) I think that I may be able to get some clearance. It's just that I need to get full clearance, as it will be a 315 mile trip to Lizard Point this August, and having bought a new Thule backrack, for all the luggage and stuff, it will be riding constantly on the damn axle!

It's driving me mad. From what I can see, the manufacturer needs to take a look, as from my calculations, the box needs to be 30mm shorter! I might well be under the thing on the weekend, taking a proper look and adjusting it. Or will I be wielding the 4lb club hammer......:twisted:

Thanks all!

Mark.

sub42
My Cars:

Re: Synergie Exhaust

Post by sub42 »

PowerLee wrote:
sub42 wrote:Anybody else got a Synergie?

Anybody else?

Mark.
Does it have a Citroen back box fitted or an aftermarket copy?

Had this problem before on a couple of cars where aftermarket back boxes hit the surrounding bodywork / suspension.
HA HA!

You made me wonder...Now, I have been approaching all Synergie owners that I spot on the forecourt, and asking to look at their undercarriage!
Its like this. All the aftermarket units are too big. All the Citroen/fiat/pug OE ones are all about 50mm shorter in box length!

I'm trying to find a guy on eBay who had an OE backbox for sale, but its no longer listed...... :roll:

Solves my problem though, just dont want to give Citroen £204 for a backbox!