ZX clutch drag?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX clutch drag?

Post by Dave1 »

I think I have drag. The only sympton is when selecting reverse, if I do not push the clutch right to the floor hard (into the carpet!) there is a grate when selecting reverse. All other gears are fine when stationary or moving. I have tried adjusting the nut on the end of the cable but no better. It is as if it needs to go that bit further beyond the carpet!

Never had any clutch probs before. What is the solution?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You don't say what engine you have. Is the idle speed excessive?

Is the clutch adjustment dissappearing? - if so the fingers on the diaphragm spring may be breaking off. This is likely only to happen at a very high mileage.

Many years ago I had this problem on a 2000 GT Cortina - and in fact due to the high revs on the auto choke I used to start it cold in gear with the clutch down. Eventually the diaphragm spring snapped and the whole thing failed - and when I removed the clutch disc I found what I was expecting - a ring of unworn friction material round the edge - which would foul the edge of the presser plate!
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Reverse is not synchronised - as the other gears are.
That fact alone will tend to always make gearshift grate when selecting reverse.
IMHO its is like some cars are worse than others to do it. Donno why - could be inherited by the simplicity of the reverse gear mechanism.

BTW : check the gear oil level. Inside LHS wheelarch on end of gearbox housing - you should have a large (19mm) bolthead - clearly different from the others. This is the filler/level plug. Clean & remove plug then slowly fill/top up until the oil just barely starts to run back out.
Car must be level of course.
Use any make of hypoid gearoil viscosity index 75W-80 or 80W-90 and GL4 or GL5 spec. This happens to be the most common gearoil type available :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

My brand new pants Fiesta grates and also the two new Focus's I tried. Do you have a footwell mat getting in the way to?
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies

Jeremy, engine is 1.9 td Volcane model, tickover is spot on but I know what you mean and have had experience of it on other cars.

AndersDK, the car has not always done this, just started recently. I have previously changed the oil a good while back but certainly worth checking the level as you suggest.

mezuk04, I have two mats :oops: but even when out of the way the problem still occurs.

On a positive note the car just passed it's MOT today. The mechanic said it was likely to be the clutch wearing, would cost about £200 all in to replace.

If I find a cure other than replacement I will post back.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Dave,

My previous Xantia TD started doing this - altough full drive wasn't taken up till right at the top of pedal, it started to drag near the bottom - there was then a big dead band of pedal movement that did nothing. Very odd - I assumed the clutch was shot, but then it dumped the oil via the head gasket so I dumped the car and never had to change it :wink:

Changing the clutch on a a ZX TD is not too bad if you've got access to some lifting gear - my mate and I did my wife's car a couple of months back in about 9 hours - including the clutch cable which is awkward. £200 seems very cheap though - the parts are about £115 (clutch kit, shaft seals, input seal, release shaft bushes, proper TOTAL gear oil) which doesn't leave much for the labour! If you plan on keeping it, I'd recommend changing the clutch - it's worth the cost / effort as it makes it sooooo much nicer to drive - the clutch on our ZX is now so light you can push it down with one finger - I need to change the throttle cable really, as that is heavier than the clutch!
Richard W
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If it defo seems to be looking at clutch failure then for £200 seems a very reasonable price if like previously said you intend on keeping the car and lets face it clutchs last a while on these.

Something has just come to me 8) which is a rareity in itself, I know! But when I had my zx 1.4 I had to have my foot right to the floor pressing hard in order to engage gear/s. This however lasted a few days after which I couldnt get in gear at ll while i was coming back from the cinema :shock:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Hi again

So far it seems to be lasting ok. It is just a matter of taking time to engage reverse. BX's are renowned for this so I have been used to doing that. Pust the clutch in, wait a second then select reverse. Mangeable if it stays as it is. However it would be nice to have a new clutch. May have this done but just spent over £200 :shock: on new sun roof cables and the glass. Only because the car is in very good condition and therefore it is worth it to me.

Now for the door pins! see the thread
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Hi

I remember when I drove alot of BMW's the owners manual used to say that on the 4 cylinder engined models (1.8's) you should hold the clutch to the floor for 5 seconds before selecting reverse, so maybe your problem is actually the nature of the car.
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

davetd wrote:Hi

I remember when I drove alot of BMW's the owners manual used to say that on the 4 cylinder engined models (1.8's) you should hold the clutch to the floor for 5 seconds before selecting reverse, so maybe your problem is actually the nature of the car.
I was just about to post a similar thing. Cavalier manuals always said to depress the clutch for 3 seconds before engaging reverse.

From the ZX manual:

"Do not select reverse gear until the vehicle is completely stationary. Depress the clutch pedal and wait a few seconds before gently engaging reverse gear."

It may be that the clutch is on its way out, but if this is the only symptom I wouldn't worry too much.

My mechanic reckoned about £200 to supply and fit the clutch to my Volcane as well, which I thought was a bit of a bargain. But he said the one fitted was fine for now.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Insect

Post by Insect »

My ZX TD Estate has had precisely the symptoms you describe. This only developed last winter and has eased a little with the warmer weather. When it's bad, if I operate the clutch and partially engage reverse I can hear from the frequency of the grating noise that the gears are rotating at a constant speed, not slowing at all. If I push it into one of the other gears the synchro allows me to engage OK, and after that I can get reverse without a problem for the rest of the day. It feels to me as though the clutch drags after having been left for a long time, so the part-unworn lining theory mentioned above may be correct, or perhaps the clutch plate does not slide along the splines like it should due to accumulations of dust? The clutch is the second in my car and has done about 80,000 miles.
I've been living with it by engaging gear (any gear), operating the clutch and then starting the car, rather than the other way round. I suspect that a new clutch is on the cards but I'll only have it done when the car's undriveable as it is high mileage and may not last that much longer!
ex-ZX TD Estate owner - (309,000 miles on the original engine and turbo) now risking a Renault.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Reassuring posts above and thanks.

The car has been stood for a while, about 2 months with little use. I did notice the issue a bit before that but driving it now it is not too bad. I simply hold the clutch in a second or so and most of the time OK so may not be a problem for some time if ever. It may be I just got a bit impatient. You get used to something after a while.

For now I think things are fine. The car is in very good condition so I am trying to sort any little niggles out including those damn hinges.

Thanks again for the help

Dave