Xantia HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Xantia HDi

Post by neil123 »

Steering... after standing for a couple of weeks, with no previous fault: on starting and subsequently, steering feels 'assisted' most of the time but 'unassisted' occasionally - it seems esp. just after braking. In essence, 'tight/slack' as steering wheel is turned - but not consistent, so I'd guess hydraulics not seized balljoint etc. Any ideas guys?

neil
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

HDi will have a 2 outlet pump - so 2 independant hydraulic circuits sharing one reservoir and drive belt.

I'd start by having a look at all the universal joints and the bearings in the steering column - as its been standing for a short while its possible one has corroded and gone stiff.

Hydraulics - loose belt - intermittent drive. Defective pinion valve - tends to be heavier on one side first. Low LHM level - check and top up!
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Re: Xantia HDi

Post by andmcit »

neil123 wrote:Steering... after standing for a couple of weeks, with no previous fault: on starting and subsequently, steering feels 'assisted' most of the time but 'unassisted' occasionally - it seems esp. just after braking. In essence, 'tight/slack' as steering wheel is turned - but not consistent, so I'd guess hydraulics not seized balljoint etc. Any ideas guys?

neil
I had this the other day on a 2.0i auto that has been stood for a while. It ended up being the universal swivel on the steering column where it meets the the rack - the tight/slack feeling could be pinned down to quarter positions of the steering wheel. With the car up in the air with the wheels hanging the steering was turned lock to lock whilst stray lubricant was applied to the joint. You could feel the freeing up immediately and it hasn't dried up and come back although the car does get regular use now.

Andrew
Amazon Activa

Post by Amazon Activa »

It may sound stupid, but from reading your post, it sounds to me that the power steering is failing after using the brakes, or am I reading it incorrectly.

If this is the case it sounds like the same problem I had with my Activa, and that was a lazy pump.
Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future - Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights

Nissan 300zx TT (94k)
Citroen BX Estate 19RD (197k)

Citroen Xantia Activa (Gone, but never forgotten)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If this is the case it sounds like the same problem I had with my Activa, and that was a lazy pump.
My girlfriend calls me the exact same, not quite sure if its 'pump' though!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Re: Xantia HDi

Post by neil123 »

I had this the other day on a 2.0i auto that has been stood for a while. It ended up being the universal swivel on the steering column where it meets the the rack - the tight/slack feeling could be pinned down to quarter positions of the steering wheel. With the car up in the air with the wheels hanging the steering was turned lock to lock whilst stray lubricant was applied to the joint. You could feel the freeing up immediately and it hasn't dried up and come back although the car does get regular use now.

Andrew[/quote]

Thanks guys - it was the steering column/rack UJ - now lubed and much better, but will replace now I know what it is. Cheers all!

Neil