Xantia 1.9TD Total light failure, My Wife needs your help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VW Man
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Total light failure, My Wife needs your help

Post by VW Man »

Hi and thanks for helping, my wife has got a 96 Xantia 1.9td and have now got total light failure all headlights dip/full and sidelights (and maybe the codepad too) all fuses are okay, not that they would all go but looked at them anyway, if you can help please email Richard VWman@monervision.co.uk
Last edited by VW Man on 13 Jun 2006, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

could be a earth thats gone?
you have to get a meter & start testing things.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Presumably this is the normal French twist switch combined with the indicators. I think your fault is in the switch unit and a new one is required.

Worth taking it out and checking the feeds to the plugs - ie is there an unswitched one - which will be the light feed. If its there, does operating the switch make anything else live?
jeremy
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The wiring loom that passes along the bottom of the radiator also causes light faults:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16816
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
VW Man
My Cars:

Post by VW Man »

Thanks for your help so far, but I still need a little more help there is a lot of wires in the loom under the radiator and some have power and some do not and I can not see where they come from or where they go or what they do.

KEEP THE HELP COMING I NEED ALL I CAN GET

VW Man
VWman@Monervision.co.uk
Last edited by VW Man on 13 Jun 2006, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Clocking up an unnecessary post to tell you that I don’t know any more about it. Image
Quickest would be to go as per Jeremy’s post, because the switch has been an area of many problems.
The loom troubles are for when the openings are at the top, and the water gets in.
If the openings are at the bottom, as they should, it won't hold water to corrode the wires.
If you can establish that the voltages are present and properly switched, then it puts the switch out of contention, and the loom gets its turn next. :mrgreen:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
VW Man
My Cars:

Post by VW Man »

Hi Clogzz

I done some teating today and there is no feed to the light fuses for the switch but I do not know what wire feeds the lights on the switch, some said the loom under the radiator is the feed and the fault and that may feed the keypad too ? I have now got some photo's off of Richard (RStacey) about the loom and that will help me a lot, I will get back to you with the out come.

Thanks Richard
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are you sure the headlights are fused on your car? On ZX and BX sidelights are but heads are not. On the ZX the circuit is battery, switch, main beam/dip beam. The sidelights are tapped of the switch and are fused by sides. The fuses are after the switch.

BX fusing is different - but headlights again are not fused.
jeremy
VW Man
My Cars:

Post by VW Man »

Hi Jeremy,
Yes the headlights fuses (x4) are in the fuse box next to the battery, the alarm works the headlights okay, but it looks like the feed from the battery to the switch has gone, got rained off today (it go's for being too hot to rain, just my luck) and the sidelights fuses are in the main fuse box inside the car.

Thanks
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

VW Man wrote:it looks like the feed from the battery to the switch has gone
just run a new fused feed to the switch then,problem solved :wink:
VW Man
My Cars:

Post by VW Man »

I would just like to say a BIG THANKS to every one even if you just have a look to see if you could help out.

FAULT
Now to the poor car, I found that I had no feed to the light stalk sidelights (small purple wire small plug), dip headlights (big pink wire small plug), full headlights (big pink wire big plug), flash headlights (big yollow), and no feed to the code pad.

TEST
I pulled out all the wires that in the loom under the radiator and cheaked and tested them and they are all working okay, the fault must be in the loom behind the dash but you can not get to it or see it ?

FIX
I put in a new bit of 3 core 13A flexible cable (with inline fuses) from the battery though a hole on the passenger side (righthand drive) near the top of the mat and around the back of the heater up to the light stalk, one feed to the sidelights, one to dip and one to full and that done the job even the keypad is working now (I hope this listing helps others).

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY. :lol:
VW Man
My Cars:

Post by VW Man »

The Car is still going fault free and when it go it go's well.
Thanks
Thermonuclear
My Cars:

Post by Thermonuclear »

Hi,
I'm currently fighting with the same problem! No power to the lighting stalk.
Can you tell me how you ran the cable into the cab as I cant find any convient hole in the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the cab.
Thanks,
1996 Xantia 1.9 TD
1998 Xantia 1.8 16V