Xantia Heater fan connections

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rdj104

Xantia Heater fan connections

Post by rdj104 »

I'm in the middle of doing the heater matrix on my Xantia hDi Exclusive.

Someone's been here before, and messed the job up, so I'm trying to do it properly and fix as many problems at once as I can.

The Blower motor has had all it's wires chopped at some point, and only some of them refitted.

I have the thick red and black wires from the motor, going on bullet connectors to the red and black wires in the loom.

The resistor module has no wires going to it at all, so it has a 4 pin connector and 2 1 pin connectors on it.

I have thin pink, white and orange wires coming from the loom, going nowhere, their number if it helps are 16 678 0635, 17 678 0635, 18 678 0635.

I can will be able to sort out a picture if that helps.

Can anyone help, or point me to a wiring diagram that shows how this should really be connected up?

Thanks
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Talk of the blower motor and ‘all its wires’.
Talk of the resistor module.
If there’s a resistor module, there’s no air conditioning, and the blower motor only has 2 thick wires.
Dash job pictures with plenty of wires here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17811

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

OK here's some pictures to clarify then...

I definitely have aircon.

Perhaps the motor has been changed, for one off a non aircon car?

Either that or the "resistor" in the second picture is something else

The first picture shows the connectors with no wires attached at the moment.

f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Thats definately the A/C model heater blower :) and the same as my blower in my V6
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

Right so I have the correct hardware, just need to work out the connections.

I guess either the earth or the 12V supply to the motor feeds into one of the single large connections and out of the other.

I guess the single connection on it's own closest to the motor wires is the output to the motor.

So that leaves 4 connections with only 3 wires to go onto them.

Any chance someone can look at their motor to see what colour wires go where?

Also I have as you can see in the photo another black wire that ends in a connector near the motor, and has been chopped off, I can't see anywhere in the loom that it came from.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The grey/white stained "device" seen on your second picture is the blower motor speed module. The 2 circular/oval rusty devices rivetd on are the power drive transistors.

The largest gauge wires would always be the power supply to the assembly. Any small gauge wire would be any kind of regulator/control voltage from the regulator module on dash.

As you can clearly see on the motor unit picture submitted by Clogzz - there is a resistor pack on the back of this motor. This resistor pack controls the speed of the blower motor - by way of a simple rotary switch on the dash. This setup would require at least 4 wires from dash to motor unit for speed controlling.

The motor unit you have got is an entirely different specie though. Its got the electronic speed regulator unit (as explained above) which needs a rotary voltage regulator (a potientiometer - or rotary resistor selector) to supply a controlling voltage. This setup only needs 1 wire to control the motor speed.

In other words : you can not make the present blower motor unit functioning w/o replacing the controlling head unit (in the dash) too.
Or straight : you got the wrong motor unit for your Xantia model.

Cheapest/simplest option is a visit to your local breakers.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

hope this helps :)

Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

OK,

from f00lz picture I am now convinced I have the right motor module for my car, as Anders DK pointed out that is the electronic controlled motor, which is what I should have, being the exclusive model.

f00lz also has the same wires as I do. I can see that the white and orange wires go to the 4 wire connector, but I can't quite see which is which.

I see the pink wire is going with the motor power cables, but where does it go to?

I think one of two things must have happened here,
either the electronic control module has failed and previous owner has tried to bypass it or..

just the motor has been replaced for a different one without same control lines on it.

Any more ideas?
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

rdj104 wrote:OK,

from f00lz picture I am now convinced I have the right motor module for my car,

f00lz also has the same wires as I do. I can see that the white and orange wires go to the 4 wire connector, but I can't quite see which is which.

I see the pink wire is going with the motor power cables, but where does it go to?

Any more ideas?
Hi

I have puzzled over this and then have looked at a wiring diagram so lets see if we can move this on.

THe normal connections are a four pin connector plus a single lead (the pink wire).

The four pin plug is numbered in YOUR picture from left to right, 1 to 4.

Pin 1 either white or orange, will need to look further to confirm
Pin 2 Black earth wire
Pin 3 Either orange or white( as 1 above)
Pin 4 Red power wire.

In normal connections, as clogzz pic shows, the red would plug in to the sunken terminal beside the four pin connector and the black into the sunken connector almost underneath the bullet connector at the end of the black wire.

THese wires basically drive two separate units within the fan assembly, one being the blower unit, the other being the full speed controller unit, with separate earths for each function.

If anyone can help with the conrtroller wires (unless you remeber which terminal they were plugged into originally) please do, other wise it will be Sunday sometime before I can check these wires but from the diagram the worst that would happen is that the fan would power up to full speed when you would not expect it to be at that speed, which should only be when you increase the speed control to max.

One will go to the first pin FROM THE LEFT IN YOUR PICTURE, the other to the third from the left.
JohnM
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

rdj104 wrote:OK,

Any more ideas?
Sorry, missed reply about this:

The pink connects to the single black connector top right of your picture, but the other end of this should be to the earth terminal plug in point mentioned above.
JohnM
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

If we follow the numbering as above, pin 1 is white.
Put otherwise, the white wire is on an outer pin.
Beware of my photo though. :?
It’s from a left hand drive car, and I flipped it horizontally. :oops:
So, on a RHD, the thick red wire may face the view from the passenger’s seat. :roll:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

Right so this pink wire connects on to the thin black wire which then shares the connection onto the speed control with the thick black wire?

Thanks for the help/photos so far, much appreciated.
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

To confirm, the red wire is definitely pin 4 on the multiplug.

You will need to use the terminals on the motor unit in order to run the various bits of the electronics; your bullet connectors are only driving the fan motor.

Try this drawing for assistance.

JohnM
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

rdj104 wrote:Right so this pink wire connects on to the thin black wire which then shares the connection onto the speed control with the thick black wire?

Thanks for the help/photos so far, much appreciated.
Any success with this one??
JohnM
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

Sorry for the delay.

It now all makes sense, I've just been too busy with other things to go play with the car yet and try out the theory.

That was a useful circuit diagram you posted JohnM52, out of interest and for future reference, where does that circuit diagram come from ( as it's not in my Haynes manual)

Thanks for all the help from everyone so far, a further update will come.