Help please!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stuwestwales

Help please!!!!!

Post by stuwestwales »

My citroen Dispatch 1.9TD van would not start the other day there was fuel going to the pump so i thought the fuel pump solenoid might be at fault. In installing a new solenoid the van started first turn of the key and ran all afternoon stopping and starting around several times,but early the next morning the same thing turning over but will not fire. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Air getting in the fuel somewhere? If its got the Roto-diesel pump (or its derivatives you can ignore the leakoff pipes as these just leak and smell - but if its Bosch air can get into the pump from these. Try manually priming - if this makes any difference then you probably have found the problem. On the suction side fuel may not leak out of a bad joint or porous steel pipe but air can still be drawn in.

The other possibility could be complete glowplug failure but I would have expected the problem to have got worse in steps as they failed one at a time.
jeremy
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

jeremy wrote:The other possibility could be complete glowplug failure but I would have expected the problem to have got worse in steps as they failed one at a time.
Unless the controller has died or the circuit fuse has popped !?

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Usually no fuse in this circuit - because of the high currents involved (would require a max fuse of some 60Amps).

During glow timing there should be at least 10.5V on the glow plugs line - and at least some 11.5V directly on the battery poles. Lower than this is a sure sign of a deadly tired battery.

Naah - I'm with Jeremy - most likely air gets in the pump.

Any sort of a pump primer bulb - then try it before your first starting attempt.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image