Was ZX rear axel mounts, now possibely exhaust ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Hi All,

Are there any outward physical signs that the forward axle mounts might be failing or have failed, like there were on the Morris 1100 ?
I looked at the tops of the forward studs and the near side one is at 3 o'clock in its hole and the off side one is at about five o'clock.
I haven't got very far with dealing with one or two little concerns but now the weather is better, I will be trying to sort a few things out.
If the car is jacked up, can you detect any excessive movement in the axle if the mounts have failed ?

All the best,

Kristian.
Last edited by KEB1 on 09 Jun 2006, 11:53, edited 2 times in total.
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its the complete rear subframe - not the axle itself - that can be moved around if the rubber mounts are shot. Easy to diagnose if rear of car is jacked up. Sometimes easy to diganose while driving if the problem is severe - as the rear tends to steer the car where it wants to by itself.

Do a search on the forum and read how others did the job.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Perhaps it would help if I explained the symptoms.
I get an odd noise from the off side rear if I have to make a sharp exit from a junction turning left or right.
Under gentle acceleration nothing unusual can be heard.
There is no noise when driving over speed bumps and the car handles very well.
I first noticed it after the central section of exhaust was replaced by a specailist and I naturally thought that the pipe was rubbing somewhere, but this is not the case.
It might not even be the mounts but I really want to get rid of this noise.
I tried spraying the subframe mounts with WD40 to see if the noise changed, but no luck.
I wondered if it was an arthritic shock absorber, but without removing them to test , I can't be sure.
Any further ideas gratefully received but as subframe mounts are a known problem, I guess this is where I shall have to look.

All the best,

Kristian. [-o<
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it sonds like your sup/arm bushes,stand back away from the rear of your car and look at the angle of the rear wheels,also look at the gap between the rear wheels and the inner wings from under the car,if your subframe mounts where gone you would get a cloncking noise when driving over speed bumps
regards malcolm
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Thanks Malcolm,

The only thing that puzzles me is that if the swinging arm bearings are shot, why is the suspension silent on a twisty road ? I only get the noise on relatively fierce acceleration left or right out of a junction etc.
Two adult males have stood in the boot and bounced the car from stop to stop and rocked it side to side and the noise could not be recreated.
As I mentioned in my last post, if I just accelerate normally, there is no problem at all.
I have looked at the spacings wheel to wheel arch and the general geometry of the rear suspension and it all looks perfectly norrmal.
Just one thought, the exhaust fitter had a terrific problem replacing the central section.
When I was crawling around under the car looking for the cause of the noise after they fitted the exhaust, I thought the CAT looked at a strange angle ie it now slopes downward from front to back with a fall of about three inches.
Is this normal for a 1.4i ZX ? The noise was not there before the new section was fitted but the workshop did it at very short notice at mates rates, so I did not have the cheek to take it back and complain.
One front seat passenger did think the noise was coming from their foot well. So, although I can't see where it could be rubbing, I still wonder if the torque reaction on heavy throttle opening is causing any misalingment to create a the noise especially as the engine mounts might be a bit soft by now.
I hope it isn't the bearing as the BOL says this is not a DIY job.

Such are the joys of motoring and possibly my alternative theory is just a case of hope over experience !

All the best,

Kristian.

PS I presume there is no difference in lenght between the system for the estate and the hatchback. The way the cat sits, it looks as though the system is to long for the car.
It is, of course a non genuine part.
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club
Insect

Post by Insect »

The exhaust IS longer in the estate than it is in the hatchback, but as far as I am aware all of the difference is in the back section, not the others.
ex-ZX TD Estate owner - (309,000 miles on the original engine and turbo) now risking a Renault.