front hub bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beemernut
My Cars:

front hub bearings

Post by beemernut »

Got a noise coming from the front suspension unit/wheel when the car goes over a bump. There's also some noise when turning. Is this likely to be the front hub bearing or something to do with the suspension? The suspension is firm on the side that the noise is coming from & bounces on the other side
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990
In the words of OGRI "Stuff Everything - I've always got my bike" (or should that be Bike & Citroens?)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You dont say what car it is ?
May we pick any from your list ?

Noise from driving over bumps is a sure droplink symptom - cheap, easy and fast to correct on BX'es.
What you can NOT do for sure is diagnosing the bad droplink. But it will at some point start doing a small clatter on level roads during drive. A very irritating noise which seems to grow with time.
Check for swivel joint wear and control arm bushes wear - by grapping the front wheel firmly and then try rock it as hard you can in/out the wheelarch. Any slack from wear will instantly tell you by its noise ...

One side firm other side bouncy is a dead sphere. Replace both on same axle ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the suspension is firm on one side, that indicates a defective sphere. If its a 'clicking' noise you get on cornering a worn CV joint could be the answer.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If it's any of the cit's the clicking when going over bumps is most probably the drop link on that side. (affectionately known in Swedish as the "clatter stay").

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
beemernut
My Cars:

front hub bearings

Post by beemernut »

Anders/Nisk

Thanks for your help. I went out and checked under the car -yes it was the BX- and yes the bottom balljoint of the drop link on the drivers side had movement - forwards and backwards. I've just got 2 new ones and new spheres that I will be fitting over the weekend
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990
In the words of OGRI "Stuff Everything - I've always got my bike" (or should that be Bike & Citroens?)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Remember to inject some more grease into the balljoints before fitting - they'll last *much* longer.