What to look for on a ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

What to look for on a ZX

Post by Allanxantia »

I am off to look at a zx tonight. It is a 1.9D elation 3dr 97P. It has 127k miles and a short MOT but I reckon it could be a good cheap runner. It is the same engine as my Xantia so I know that 127k is getting to headgasket failure time, so look out for those signs. Are there any other things that I need to look for especially with the short MOT?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Make sure she starts up from cold quickly without any smoke.

Make sure the rear wheels are not leaning.

Check the condition of the interior, says a lot about its life.

Cant think of anything else, since at these auctions they dont like you looking much.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The head gasket is probably the most hated job, so one or two checks to make:

Check for antifreeze, if it doesn't have any it could be because its been blowing water out. Just dip your finger in the coolant and taste it, it should be sweet if not be suspicious.

Check around the header tank for signs of water having been blown out of the overflow.

Start the engine and run it for a few minutes and remove the filler cap, CAREFULLY, there shouldn't be any appreciable ammount of pressure, if there is and especially if it blows water out, forget it.

If thats OK try the same thing again after driving for a few miles, there will be some pressure but again, not enough to blow water out unless it has just been topped up, if so ask yourself, why?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Where the heck did i get "auction" from? :cry:

I would get on the floor and check the condition of full length of the exhaust for any severe rust or rust holes.

Any knocking noises at the back, could be the arms and what about the front (anti roll bars), if theres slight knocking it could be a good ground for negotiation.

I remember when i went to view the Xantia, it had a leaky radiator, was slow to lift, dodgy window and basically read a long list to the owner :wink:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Subframe mounts would be one of the main things to check in my book. Start knocking money off if you hear knocking at the rear when you take it out for a spin. :)
ImageImage