speedo xantia 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

whitehead
My Cars:

speedo xantia 1.9td

Post by whitehead »

speedo not working . i have identified two connections on the diff. one is an electrical connector which sits on top of the diff (hope this isn't it as it's a bugger to get at)
the other is just in front of the right hand drive and is bolted on. which one is the speedo?
I have unbolted the one near the drive and took it out . there are about 5 contacts or sensors in a ring on the end. i have cleaned them but still not working. If they are connectors they seem extremely worn.
Am i looking in the correct place?
please help. :?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Discussed here :
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19182

And yes its located on the RHS drive of the diff :
0290 01 332301 TACHOMETER CONTROL SCREW MANUAL GEARBOX BVM BE3
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 323010.gif
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not sure what you have taken off, but the speedo sensor is on top of the housing that's bolted onto the diff that the RH (long) driveshaft goes into. You might be able to get it out in situ, but it's probably a lot easier to pull the RH shaft out and unbolt the whole housing from the diff.
Richard W
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

On my car, I removed the air filter box and then, working over the L/H wing (by the battery), I was able to reach down with a socket on a small extension. I think the size is 11mm. The heat shield and the bolt will fall off and have to be retrieved from under the car. When you remove the module there may be a small spillage of oil from the diff.

Fitting the replacement is not so easy as you have to juggle the bolt and heat shield and is easier done under the car but it's still not possible to see what you are doing.
The flange on the module lines up with a similarly shaped bit of the diff housing when the holes for the bolt are roughly lined up, but I found that using a phillips screwdriver bit as an alignment tool will line them up exactly.
Sticking the bolt into the socket with a bit of blue-tack means there is one less item to drop when you are trying to re-fit the heat shield.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon