C5 Indicator switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

birstall

Post by birstall »

OK I finally got round to dismantling the COM2000 unit. The internal ribbon cable from the indicator switch was possibly loose because it was disconnected when I opened up the unit (or was that just due to my heavy handedness?). I cleaned up all the contact places with meths and then cleaned and reconnected the ribbon cable. Pleased to say that, after finally working out how everything went back together, it now works perfectly.

Just a note about the design: the indicator switch seems to knock up against the connection socket for the ribbon cable when you indicate to turn right - at least it does when the unit is open - not sure if it still does when the unit is reassembled. This could be the reason why the fault developed. Maybe this should be reported to the appropriate safety authority as it could be a design flaw that might result in an RTA. Any thoughts from you guys?
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD
abs66

Re: C5 Indicator switch

Post by abs66 »

Thank you thank you thank you......I was sure that the comm2000 unit could be fixed, after all if companies can remanufacture them, then surely its worth a go at fixing them yourself.
I don't suppose anyone took any photo's of the opened comm2000 unit showing the offending parts by any chance?
I'm not worried about removing the comm2000 unit as such, more the removal of the air bag itself. My car is the Xsara Picasso so I'm still searching for a "how to" on how to remove the air bag for my model.
Anyway, thanks for the info guys and I'm always happy for extra info if anyone has any.
cheers
Pete
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Re: C5 Indicator switch

Post by Xantianut »

As an aside, I had problems with the indicator switch on my old Mk1 BX.

I was told a replacement was the only way to fix it but I am an inveterate tinkerer. So, safe in the knowledge that grey switches were common to find if it all went pear shaped, I pulled it apart and with a bit of contact cleaner, they worked for a week. Then failed. so I cleaned them with 1500 grit W & D and they were sorted.

Guess who's going to be pulling his trip computer stalk apart?
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)