Tale of woe - OR - does anyone fancy a cheap 97 TD Xantia!?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Tale of woe - OR - does anyone fancy a cheap 97 TD Xantia!?

Post by andmcit »

This mess isn't a slag off of ebay or the vendor [giving him some 'benefit of the doubt' but noting there'll be "slightly dodgy" characters selling everywhere] I'll let the following 'pan out' and be interested in any suggestions/offers etc at the end of it all!!

I won ebay item 4640373783, an R registered 1997 Xantia TD with AC on behalf of a very long standing good pal of mine who doesn't like computers, so he's not remotely interested in ebay, forums etc etc...

He's prepared to pull up the standard of a Citroen in need by spending modest money and this fitted the bill for his son who's good at chewing up and spitting back ANY car he gets!!

After we'd travelled 300 miles to see it today, the first discovery was it didn't have a sunroof which is one of the top requirements [OK, should've been pedantic to specifically ask looking back in hindsight!] BUT It did have a water leak [but NOT from the main radiator as was suggested AFTER the auction had finished...] :shock:

First off - NICE engine that was stone cold and started on the glow plugs immediately and without smoke.

Then made the vital error! Yep, paid for the car and did paperwork with fair reduction in price for replacement rad.

Yep, first problem, the leak wasn't the radiator, which was a shame as one had be brought to fit...

Yep heater matrix, which was overflowing out of the heater box through the bulkhead. Ok, how did we discover this? We'll, I've never seen this on a Xantia before but on sealing what I didn't 'clock' as an overflow pipe it promptly filled the front left footwell with hot water! :lol:

Ok, drastic measures I know, so for those of you with a squeamish disposition, look away now...

I cut the perfect inlet outlet matrix pipes and bridged them with my bottle jack handle so it was now sans heater and water loss!

Ok, you can look now, the big Knife has been put away!!

Next problem, the car certainly had hard front spheres, Ok I said, may have to bring some for the car's collection and booking/running home for an MOT appointment.

Went, to open the expansion top to check/top up water and then 'Versuvious' errupts from the header rather dramatically, even when the cooling level only shows 70ish.

No signs of HG failure but the pal of mine THEN get's totally cold feet believing the the seller knew all of this asked to be taken home leaving me and the owner a tad baffled as to what to do to conclude this transaction.

I've been volunteered to ask if anyone near Alfreton wants a cheap late S1 Xantia for spares or repair?

For an added twist, the documentation is in Cardiff, but the 'previous owner'/vendor has the keys!!

Frankly, my pal is NOT remotely interested in anything more to do with the car and will live a bit poorer and live to ebay another day!

Andrew
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Re: Tale of woe - OR - does anyone fancy a cheap 97 TD Xanti

Post by fastandfurryous »

andmcit wrote:I've been volunteered to ask if anyone near Alfreton wants a cheap late S1 Xantia for spares or repair?
How cheap?
This is not a signature.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Having slept on it I think the cooling AND THE ENGINE is probably OK and just needs bleeding properly; the temp didn't show higher than 70 so the fans wouldn't have had a chance to come on and there was no blowback or bubbling through the brimmed expansion tank on the initial water top up.

What you've got to address is the Heater Matrix, there seemed to be a blow on the donut joint of the manifold, and the offside rear door is poor if you're after a car that looks 100% but a guy on ebay called citybreakers has one the right colour. If driving it the way it is the sphere's were tolerable!

Speak to Peter on 07738705007. He's realistic to know he wont get anything like his outlay yesterday but the damned car is actually a nice drive - I've told him I think it's worth a punt at 150 as the engine is "only" at 88k miles and the service history stamps go all the way through to this figure but I'm picking up a new purchase myself today so don't have the time or the immediate space or I'd have taken it on.

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Any takers?

ALL offers will be considered

Andrew
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Let me get this straight.... What exaclty is up with the car in your opinion? Is it just a heater matrix job and bleed the system up?
Where is the car now? and how much is it? I am interested.
I take it theres no test on the car, also what else are points to note?
Cheers
Simon
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

wilkobob wrote:Let me get this straight.... What exaclty is up with the car in your opinion? Is it just a heater matrix job and bleed the system up?
Simon
Hi Simon. That's what I believe is the case - I've bypassed the matrix but being all pressed for time [never a good idea when collecting a car] I don't think it got bled and set up properly. The temperature NEVER got to critical mass!

The car is purchased, but as yet not collected off the seller's drive. The seller WILL be expecting it to be collected so decisions will need to be made over the next 24/48 hours.

It's great for someone who's local or has a trailer, but NOT for us being 100's of miles away. I'd have had it myself as in my opinion my pal is being too hard on it, I think the bottom line is Peter WANTED a sunroof car! Speak directly to Peter on 07738705007.

Andrew
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi andmcit

So your still on the search. Remember the Xantia I collected from Mid wales?? Turned out to be a great car. Suspension was all sorted when I finised, Put 4 spheres on it, and (as you sugested) freed the rear linkage up, 4 new heater plugs and a GOOD clean up it was much better then I expected. Would have kept it, but had my XM..

I think your friend is being rather hard, and not looking past bargains that need work.
I tend now to beleve, nothing is being sold cheepish unless theres work to be done. Shame your opposite end of Wales, I'd have that off you!

Heater matrix is dash out, but for the sugested price above and the milage, its well worth the effort. Good luck on your trawl!

Regards
citroenxm
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

If you want it it's in Alfreton [get's handy map...] RIGHT ON YOUR DOORSTEP!! Yep, the car is situated just below Chesterfield off the M1!!

surely someone centrally located wants an R reg that needs a litte tlc for well below banger money - nice colour in blue!1

Right. As a reminder the key facts wart and all. Assume if it isn't mentioned I'm either getting totally scatterbrained or it'll be Ok!

Driver's rear door stuffed and without rubbing strip but glass OK and winds down - cosmetic BUT looks sad and needs replacement.

Heater Matrix very obviously gone - hot water piping into passenger footwell. Now bypassed and with this heat not an issue until September! ;)

Engine 88k miler and gearbox ok without whine or jumping.

Not 100% sure about the clutch - the biting point seemed to be OK and where I'd expect it but the pedal seemed heavier/stiffer than the one I drove there in - that's all I can reference it to!! Maybe a clutch sometime soon, who knows, but just being honest. Pulled well up the hill and didn't smoke or slip.

Exhaust seemed throaty around the donut flange of the manifold.

Tyres on front are Avons and would get you home without points on your licence but would get advisory on mot.

Front sphere's had deflection travel but nothing remotely like they should be.

Rear sphere's were better but not 100% either. Strut tops 100%!!

Blower on ventilation absent from proceedings

We're talking 150quid here. Del Trotter would say, he who dares wins!!
:wink:

For god's sake talk to Peter before he TOTALLY forgets about it and I get a negative for not wanting the car even though it's paid for! If it comes to it, I'll trailer the bloody thing back myself, but I've got other fish to fry.

Surely the parts that can be visually checked musty be worth 150quid!?

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Flippin 'eck, somebody volunteer it OFF this guy's drive - I want my bottle jack handle back!! :D

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 09 Jun 2006, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Where's the car located?
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi LeeDJC. It's just about half a mile up the A61[T] north of Alfreton town centre. Alfreton is off junction 28 of the M1 AND THE A38[T]. Nearest recognisable place names on the map are Nottingham, Mansfiled and Chesterfield.

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Peter who's paid for the car but doesn't want the hassle of fixing the matrix anf getting it 100's of miles back to Cardiff, can be contacted on 07738705007. He's a nice guy and he'll be happy to chat about it!

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

As an aside, my Brother In Law has a Pug 306 that decided on Thursday evening to drop all the water in the cooling system into his footwell through his matrix. Now he's got all the manuals but has never had anything remotely to do with the car and that includes spark plug/oil changes etc.

He started dismantling the dash as per the Haynes BOL and yesterday has actually done it!! Ok took him to yesterday evening, but for someone who just blindly followed the instructions and would have taken the back wheels and exhaust silenser off if it told him to, the job was done in two solid days and an evening...

As I've said a few times, this doesn't worry me unduly about this car if I were to take it on, but I've bought THREE cars in THIS MONTH already and will sort out collection of Pete's electrically challenged VSX next, but am off the collect the third ebay car today!! Thaqt's why you guys need to deal with Peter, although he may be busy working around midday.

Don't ask me where I'm putting all these cars, I 'think' if I stand them all up on their noses I'll fit some more in! :wink:

Andrew