Sorry ABS (Again)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

Sorry ABS (Again)

Post by Ross »

I have a 1.9TD Xantia VSX (94) - the abs light is on constantly - I have taken advice from the forum and checked the sensor readings which were posted and apparently ok - symptoms suggested the abs ecu which I have had checked and repairedwith a years guarantee.
On connection of the ecu light still stayed on - returned to garage who tested the abs and advised the problem was a "Safety Relay" as this was showing as a fault - evidently its dark green - telephoned Citroen main dealers who were very helpful, didnt have one in stock but said it would cost £22.00 for a new relay.
The workshop manager then said that the Citroen fault readouts were unreliable and apparently it seems they keep putting bits on until the problem is solved ?
This isnt an option as the abs is at this rate likely to cost more than was paid for the car
Is it likely the fault readout is correct or in truth do I have no option but to buy the relay and gradually work through the system renewing bits ?
One other point - I have now checked the sensor readings at the multi plug several times and give or take a minimal variation all readings appear within the range suggested on the forum.
Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Can I take it that the light never goes out while the ignition is on / engine running?

I see from the BBA remain site that Citroen's elit computer cannot communicate with the ABS ECU. What the elit is and if the ECU referred to is the Teves (98 on or so) or yours I don't know!

At standstill the ECU monitores the system - which means checking all circuits for continuity - and checking its own supplies. I think your next stage is to investigate the multiplug connecting to the ECU and meter every circuit - thus verifying the supplies (it probably has at least 2), and the operating bits - ie the valve block. Its also worth checking the earth. I think by this you will check everything but the brake light switch which is needed to turn it from monitoring to active mode!

I expect the ECU controls the valve block through a relay which is what your garage have found - so its worth checking this first. I don't know how complicated this particular relay is but many have the circuit printed on the case. At least you will be able to check its operating coils - which actually is probably all that can be monitored.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

may be a silly question but have you checked the abs fuse is intact,im not sure which this is on a XANT but on a BX it has its on fuse in the fuse box which is f14,and it defenatly makes the lamp stay on when the fuse is blown
regards malcolm