Hydractive 2 problems HELP !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sezzi

Hydractive 2 problems HELP !

Post by sezzi »

T reg Xantia 2.0hdi Exclusive...

2x New Front height correctors (fitted correctly all pipes the correct way round)
All spheres 6 months old except Main Accumulator (new)
Hydraflushed as well.

Pump Seems fine goes up ok (won't come down)

The Heights will not adjust at all using normal method (adjusting via clamp to roll bar) !

Going on holiday next week and need car also MOT is out now so got to get that done as well before holiday. (its beeen off road over 5 weeks now)

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

Regards
Alan
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Lame question alert !

but -

Are the plastic links fitted from ARB's to HC's ?
Item 6 on this drawing :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 366100.gif

- we gotta start somewhere eh ? :oops:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
sezzi

Post by sezzi »

Both front & rear "dogbone" linkages & roll bar links are present & Correctly positioned...

Regards
Alan
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you disconnect the links can you bring it down by pressure on the height valve lever? If all the pipes are connected correctly, either the correctors are not working or the height adjust lever mechanism is holding it up and its highly unlikely that both valves are faulty.
sezzi

Post by sezzi »

we changed both front height correctors originally then on instinct replacedd the front height corrector again at this point the car seemed to have corrected itself however the height lever needed to be set somewhere between normal & low, so the next thing was get it on a ramp and adjust the heights in the normal way (ive done hundreds, literally of height resets on xm,bx xantias ect) NOTHING !

regards
Alan
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I seem to remember from my last BX purchase (the running 17TD) - that even the second replacement of the front HC did not help on a similar problem - until I read here in an old post that the HC must be filled with LHM (vented) before fitting ... :oops:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

sezzi wrote:we changed both front height correctors originally then on instinct replacedd the front height corrector again at this point the car seemed to have corrected itself however the height lever needed to be set somewhere between normal & low, so the next thing was get it on a ramp and adjust the heights in the normal way (ive done hundreds, literally of height resets on xm,bx xantias ect) NOTHING !
"Both" front height correctors ? :roll:

Since when did any Citroen have two height correctors at the front ? :lol:

Height correctors are very simple devices that are very reliable and almost never fail, so the fact that you've replaced it multiple times without any change surely points out that the problem is elsewhere.

Have you got the manual override linkage set correctly ? With the height lever at normal ride height and the automatic (plastic) linkage disconnected the peg from the manual override lever must be exactly in the middle of the slot, otherwise the manual height lever will interfere with the automatic height correction.

Also nobody seems to have asked the obvious question - why did you replace the height corrector(s) in the first place ? What was the original problem ? The reason I ask this is because 9 out of 10 times when someone replaces a height corrector it isn't the cause of the problem.

Regards,
Simon
Last edited by Mandrake on 28 May 2006, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:I seem to remember from my last BX purchase (the running 17TD) - that even the second replacement of the front HC did not help on a similar problem - until I read here in an old post that the HC must be filled with LHM (vented) before fitting ... :oops:
Hi Anders,

You shouldn't need to fill a height corrector with LHM before use, as it is self lubricating. The sliding section of the shaft is lubricated through the shafts own leakage almost as soon the system pressurizes the first time.

I've stripped and cleaned height correctors and refitted them dry several times and they alway start working immediately. However there is no time delay for about the first day of use until the rest of the chambers fill up with leakage oil...(which can be somewhat amusing :lol: )

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

similar problem

Post by jgra1 »

folks, it looks like i have sold my car in the next few days, and guess what, the car wont come up from full down or vice versa, at the back.

Xantia 1.8 i 1999

I rebuilt and cleaned the rear corrector quite recently. I have been under car (on ramps) and i can disconnect manual adjuster, get the car full up and full down but it wont recenter. This is the same with the override rod connected.

I have to assume, as the linkage all seems fairly free moving, that the corrector is sticking to the point that it wont correct. I cant think what else it could be. I am going to set it now so that it will always come up from bottom position, thats better than nothing.

has anyone got a diagram of the insides of the corrector just so , if i pull the back off, I can check all is together ok?

maybe new LHM and a flush and filters is the only option... but late for that tho :?

john
sezzi

Post by sezzi »

Pressure regulator replaced as well (no improvement).

The symptom is similar to trying to adjust the heights with the 12mm bleed open.

"becoming a pain this xantia is really beating me up"

HELP !javascript:emoticon(':cry:')