Xantia diesel swap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Xantia diesel swap

Post by andmcit »

Just idly mulling here...

Would I have to reinvent the wheel some, if I got hold of a HDi diesel Xantia engine and dropped it into a TD one that needs a new engine?

I'm totally up for it and would like to hear any serious and or constructive suggestions/tips/must do's and dont's etc...

Has anyone seen it done or carried this conversion themselves?

Andrew
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The HDi will need a high pressure fuel system with a pump near the tank - and the electronics may well be fun - OK if you get all the bits from a donor car - but getting them one at a time may not be quite so easy.

I would also expect there are numerous little bits that will frustrate you and make an apparently simple job look like your life's work.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I suspect it will resemble a pet to DERV conversion project - which are wellknown projects around here on older cars.

- because of the many differences between TD & HDI diesels ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As Jeremy says, the electronics will probably be your worst problem, unless they all come with the engine as on the 2.1 td - now thats a good engine to have...
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I know both engines well...It would be quite a job. not really a drop-in replacement. Plus, as has been said, the electronics will cause you many headaches. If you are willing to change the whole engine bay and put in an HDi dashboard, then this would make it easier on you.

I would go for the 2.1TD engine. The HDi is really a very mice and smooth engine, and consumption is lower than 2.1TD but even so I am not quite sure if worth the effort!
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

OK, thanks for the input guys, maybe I'll stick with the quest for a 1.9 or 2.1 instead of the HDi I managed to find!!

I've got to ask!! Will a conversion from Xantia 1.9 to 2.1 require 'just' the alternate manifolds/aircleaner assembly etc... Surely both set ups use the pull system of fuel feed and electrics are just down to the fuel cut off!? Right!!?? :D

Fortunately, I've not had THAT much dealings with the 1,9 TD lump in mine; the usual oil changes and pump resuscitation etc...

Thing is, I've neither had much to do with my Xm's 2.1, yet...

Andrew
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The 2.1 has quite a lot of extra peripheral equipment, the best thing is to look at a car with a 2.1 fitted, or better still buy a 2.1!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Peter.N. wrote:..better still buy a 2.1!
While that would probably be easy, it'd also be expensive!! The ill 1.9 TD estate is on an R and worth sorting out rather than binning. Guess it'd be easier to source a 1.9 over a 2.1 but that'd be TOO easy!! :wink:

Andrew
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah right, well that could cause another problem. Is your 1.9 electronically managed, does it have a 'fly by wire' throttle cable or is it connect to the pump? Most of the 2.1s about are mechanical from XMs, you really need one from a 406. Of course if you could get one from a Xantia that would be nearly perfect, but there ain't many of they about.