Clutch plate or is it the cable?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

porgy

Clutch plate or is it the cable?

Post by porgy »

I have 1996 turbodiesel xantia dimension. Three days ago I noticed some difficulty in engaging reverse gear with the engine running, today at the shops I even had to stop the engine to enable me to engage first gear and had to resort to "doubling" the clutch to change through the other gears to get me home. When the car is in gear and in motion, there is no sign of any slip, although the pedal travel has had a high biting point for awhile, it's pulling very well just like before.
Anybody have any ideas? Any tips on how I can adjust or change the cable? (I've heard it's a pig of a job!). Or do I need a new clutch? (any tips on that one?).
Thanx all
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

First thing to do is to check the adjustment of the pedal. Measure (in millimeters) from the centre of the clutch pedal pad to the lower edge of the steering wheel. Then press the clutch pedal to the floor and take the same measurement again. Take one from the other and the difference should be 150mm (+/- 5mm). If the measurement is greatly different the cable needs adjusting. Do the check and then come back with further questions.