How do you know when you need knew glow plugs?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I've just put this thread in Hints and Tips - I'm fed up of re-writing it!

Diesel not-starting

Sounds like you're in for some fun changing the plugs though!
Richard W
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

it did start with a bit of white smoke yeah but it simply will not start at all today. I was quoted £65 to change the glow plugs from a garage but they would come out and get the car started for me :?

He was going on about you have toi take stuff off the top of the engine to change one of then plugs, that isnt right is it?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"He was going on about you have toi take stuff off the top of the engine to change one of then plugs, that isnt right is it?"

Have a look at where the plug behind the injection pump is, then see if you think that's right :lol: You might have to take off some of the injector pipes as well to get access :roll:
Richard W
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

I called the AA out and he got my car started :D, I have another car im gonna park next to that i can use to give it long jump start in the morning and ill buy my own glow plugs and get somebody else to fit them who i trust. Id attempt to do it myself but i dont have the tools and id rather somebody capable done it.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

what about bosch duratherm glow plugs they anygood? Also some guy told me i should fit glow plugs 2mm longer than standard, think thats a good idea?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Before you go and replace all the plugs, just do a quick check that its not the relay thats failed-its dead easy to check.

Use a jump lead to connect from battery+ directly to the plug which has the feed from the relay, leave it connected for 10 secs or so and see if it starts then. If its an easy start, then you know the relay or its circuit is faulty, if its the same as before then you know for certain that some of the plugs are dead.

If you can't face changing the awkward fourth plug (easy on a poverty spec n/a BX!!) just do the other 3 at least, and as long as the engine's in reasonable overall shape it'll still start under even the most severe conditions.

I don't think a longer plug will make much difference, just stick with the standard ones- use Beru.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Never heard anything said about using longer plugs :?:

I would also change the plugs you have easiest access to 1 2 3 4

and get a garage to replace numbers 1 & 4

Keeping costs down :!:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

With the proper plugs and in good order (no air leaks) XUD's are first rate starters and should fire and run properly on about the second turn of the engine - ie starting first time every time. With this performance using the proper plugs what is the point in messing around with others?

If your engine doesn't start this easily with NO smoke there is something wrong. They don't just go off for no reason. (I have a 200,000 mile BX TD which starts first time after a few days.)
jeremy
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

No the AA guy said it was the plugs he checked all the circuits ect and said it looks like i only have 1 plug working based on the current its drawing.also there was white smoke. The plugs are live, Im just gonna get a garage to replace them all for me. Ill buy a set myself and just pay them to fit them.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Im getting the plugs fitted tomorrow morning, but the guy said i could have damaged my starter motor, because every morning for the last week iv had to turn the starter motor constantly for up to 80 seconds and keep my foot to floor to get it to eventually start, as it builds up heat, The garage bloke says this is burning out the starter motor and it will probably go soon after this abuse. Do you think he's at it?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I would just stick with the glowplugs, if after fitting the cars back to normal then leave it at that until something else becomes apparent.

If the car develops another fault which can be diagnosed as the starter motor then once diagnosed correctly, get it fixed!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You can overheat and damage a starter motor, its usually aparent when you do because they either start to smell strongly of burning or the magic smoke comes out of them. They're not designed for "continuous" operation and would overheat if you ran them for a long period but they're pretty well protected by the battery because it goes flat.

I really think that if you'd done damage to your starter it would be very obvious.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

ok think i got away with it then. Got the knew plugs fitted i could see that 2 of the old one were totally burned out. Do the glow plugs actually heat the fuel itself or just the chamber in this engine?