Warning Lamp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Warning Lamp

Post by mezuk04 »

BIL has just rang me to say that an orange light keeps flashing on occasion and wonders what it is.

I believe it may be the same one that on occasion flashed with myself which is the coolant lamp.

However, with not having the car for so long I couldnt really guess at what he's referring to, he says that the symbol looks like the top of a coat hanger with a drip underneath it.

Can anyone confirm what lamp this is? And if someone even has a scanned page of the lamps for the Xantia that would be helpful, he says he has had a look in the haynes and the handbook but cant find any symbols.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

That’ll be the oil level warning light.
It’s at the very right of the upper row of warning lights in the left side cluster.
It’s in the habit of flashing when parked on a slope or cambered road, or when the oil level isn’t well up to full mark.
The only proper way to check the oil level is with the dipstick, and parked on the flat.
Mandrake has posted pictures of that here, and on Froggy Forum.
Can’t find them now, because it’s time to go Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Time to go to.....right then i doubt its level so probably been parking on a slope....if it needs a wee top up then fair enough...thanks for that!!!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Cant believe anything to do with oil level could be an ORANGE warning ?
Its got to be a RED warning in my logic ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Strange but true - on ZX oil level warning is an amber light with what looks like an unberella handle symbol with a couple of bars below the shorter limb.

The oil pressure light is red with the common oil can symbol.

I think the oil level sender is in the centre of the car - and catches us in the Uk out when we park on the wrong side of the road and it suddenly comes on.
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Clogzz wrote:That’ll be the oil level warning light.
It’s at the very right of the upper row of warning lights in the left side cluster.
It’s in the habit of flashing when parked on a slope or cambered road, or when the oil level isn’t well up to full mark.
The only proper way to check the oil level is with the dipstick, and parked on the flat.
Mandrake has posted pictures of that here, and on Froggy Forum.
Can’t find them now, because it’s time to go Image Image
Thats ok Clogzz, you can have the day off. :lol: Here it is:

Low oil level (the one that cries wolf all the time) is the top right symbol. Low oil pressure (which means stop NOW) is the bottom right one.

And for many people (including all 3 Xantia's in our family) the orange low oil level light will often flash when starting even when the car is on perfectly level ground with the oil at the top dipstick mark.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ahh... the electronic dipstick again :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Spoke with BIL this morning to let him know but he already had a quick nosey of the thread.

Indeed it is the same one that even flashed for me on occasion, however I thought that was the coolant, whoopsie.