Is this terminal? Continuing saga.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Is this terminal? Continuing saga.

Post by rory_perrett »

Questions first as you may have given up the will to live before you've read the rest.

Which other 2.1TD engines (Peugeot, XM.etc.) would be suitable as a replacement for my 1998 2.1TD Xantia engine?

Is it really not possible to remove the cylinder head with the engine in the car?

Quick up date – car got rather hot in traffic due to failure of electric fans but not so hot it boiled over. Next day it was down on power, more noisy, and had black smoke especially when under load between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

Head gasket appears to be OK no oil in water or vice versa was booked in for a diagnosis at Cit Indi near work yesterday BUT never made it.

Backing out of the drive there was a muffled bang follow by a considerable increase in noise (rattles) and very rough running – like it was missing a cylinder or two. Took the cam cover off, nothing obvious like a broken cam etc.

Bought another car last night (a Xsara HDi for the wife so I can have her old Xantia) so I’ve now got the time to take the engine out and have a good look at my leisure. Options are –

1. if block and/or head are not too damaged I will probably have a go at repair
2. find a replacement engine
3. listen to my wife and accept that an 8 year old Xantia with 190k miles on the clock just isn’t worth the effort and just ring my local scrappy and get him to send the lads round with the Hiab.

Somehow just can’t bring myself to consider option 3 at the moment.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Rory,

If, as you say you, have the time to play with it what have you got to lose? Rip out the engine and strip it down. If its no good I'm sure you can pick up a decent replacement from somewhere.
I took your 'option 3' with my trusty old BX 1.4 with 290,000miles on the clock because I snagged one of the hydraulic pipes where they converged into a mass of spaghetti somewhere near the front subframe - regretted it ever since. Time and lack of transport was the issue back then. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Gammy
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Surely worth a look... especially if the rest of the car is in good nick. Could it be the turbo was cooked??
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
deian

Post by deian »

correct me if i'm wrong but turbos run hot anyway yea, imagine something spinning at 20000rpm, imagine the lack of cooling on it, it would glow red... i imagine!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The turbo on a diesel doesn't get that hot, not nearly as hot as a petrol turbo does. They're oil cooled on a diesel, petrol ones are often water cooled too, older petrol turbos were just oil cooled and didn't last well. The exhaust on a diesel just isn't as hot as a petrol, the engine is fundamentally more efficient so less heat energy escapes out of the exhaust pipe.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with Kowalski on the turbo. As the 2.1 td has hydraulic tappets I dont think that the camshafts break, probably only the rockers. And, yes, it is possible to remove the head without taking the engine out, I've done it, but its not easy. Probably took me about 20 hours to renew the head gasket on my XM, but I must say its run faultlessly for about 25k since then. If you do fit a new gasket, use a genuine Citroen 'repair' gasket, its laminated steel and looks as though it should last forever.