Xantia starting & leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete woods
My Cars:

Xantia starting & leak

Post by pete woods »

Hi Folks
I have just (yesterday) bought a SX 1.9 TD with 96000 on the clock.
It stated & and perfectly at the auction & on the way home.
This morning I tried to start it & lots of churning but no burning.
I had keyed in the code & waited for the pre heaters. I finally tried the priming pump & It started next try. I managed to get hold of the last owner & he said he had px'd it due to starting probs. he'd had it serviced & put new glow plugs & battery in to no avail. He said it always started but would take up to two mins of trying. He hadn't tried the priming pump. Any ideas?
The other problem I have is that the carpet in the passenger footwell is damp & it looks like the heater matrix is leaking slightly. Before I resort to ripping out the dash to get at it which I understand is a bugger of a job I was going to try some Bars Leaks fluid. Has anyone had a similar problem & if so what worked for you?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If your car, once it has started in the morning, starts promptly for the remainder of the day, it's a good guess that it's suffering from air leaking into the fuel system. By giving a few strokes on the primer you displace the air that shouldn't be there. I would start tracing the leak by replacing the fuel filter and making sure the housing is leak free for a start. Incidentally, it would be advisable to change the cambelt unless your sure it's been replaced in the last year.
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

the fuel pipes crack allowing air in but they don't always let fuel out!!. My fuel supply pipes cracked at the bends where it came off the chassis rail near the turbo pipes also the heater maxtrix - just done one be very carefull when you remove the connection blocks/pipes from maxtrix they break easily (push clip to right grab block and wiggle gently left to right as you are pulling it out)they cost £117 inc vat,The maxtrix is only £38. The LEAK fix don't work well, the maxtrix is a rather involved job and will take you a full weekend to do it involves handbrake cables loosen off (to allow handbrake to stand up to get centre console out)steering wheel and switches and dash totally out then the heater box/unit out so you can remove maxtrix, then putting back is more fun as you must not trap any of the many wires!!
G J Wright
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

thanks for the advice. I think the primer pump thing was a bit misleading as it took ages to start this morning even after using the primer. I've got a haynes manual now & this says to keep the throttle wide open when starting to purge the air from the system so I will try this tomorrow.
I've now found that only about 2 bulbs in the dash are working & the speedo gave up for a while today!!!
Are all Xantias like this?!!
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

thanks for the advice. I think the primer pump thing was a bit misleading as it took ages to start this morning even after using the primer. I've got a haynes manual now & this says to keep the throttle wide open when starting to purge the air from the system so I will try this tomorrow.
I've now found that only about 2 bulbs in the dash are working & the speedo gave up for a while today!!!
Are all Xantias like this?!!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

are you sure it's the matrix thats leaking ?? on a xantia it's quite common for water to leak in through the scuttle panel via the heater blower motor duct.this also soaks the passangers footwell.you have to remove the panel & re-seal. is the car losing coolant ? rub some of the water on the tip of your tounge,does it taste of anti freeze ? (not very nice but it's a good way to check)
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

had same problem on my Xantia regards water in passenger footwell,and i also found it was the scuttle panel around windscreen, a replacement screen had been fitted and had not been sealed correctly,a small tube of clear silicon cured this,good luck dave
Grant Withington
My Cars:

Post by Grant Withington »

Check the Cold start mechanism. After trying the usual fixes, Changing glow plugs, relays, inject bleed hoses etc, I found my problem to be the cold start cale tension. Once adjusted correctly, my 1.9 TD starts first time. Before you had to turn on the glow plugs at least 4 times, and then you would be greeted by a cloud o black smoke, until the car was idling on its own.
Good luck
Grant