alloys

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

eddmeister

alloys

Post by eddmeister »

hi all its newbie eddy again

i currently have steel wheels on my xantia turbo diesel 1997

i have got a set of xantia turbo alloys from a friend now my question is am i ok using the same bolts from my steel wheels for my alloys or do i need different bolts ?

i have checked the bolt and it is tapered like the holes in the alloys and seats ok ?

i just wondered if there ok to use or if i need different bolts and if so which ones

of course the mandatory locking wheel bolts/nuts will be purchased

many thanks for ant respone in advance

kind regards eddy :)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

They should be ok...just make sure they are long enough as the measurements may differ compared to the steel and the alloys, so the bolts may not go as far in....not that I know anything to do with this. :oops:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

May be worth checking the length of the 60degree tapered shoulder as I recall the one's on the steel wheel are shorter/smaller and thus will have a smaller bearing surface onto the alloy wheel.

As mentioned also check the length of actual thread/reach for criticality, BUT also the head of the alloy bolts IIRC is actually longer; the alloys have deep recesses and to allow a better grip for a bar/socket the head is almost as long as the threaded section which is barely a quarter on the steel wheel ones.

I'd say to be 100% certain get hold of one off each wheel to know precicely what's what.

I'll take one of each type and post pics here later one if someone else doesn't beat me to the draw!!

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Rightho, been snooping about Citroen's parts listing - the Xantia turbo alloys ARE definitely different from EVERY other wheel bolt on a Xantia so you'll need the right one for the wheels you've got [OK there are later Exclusive alloys which use the same type but that's not directly related to your situation here].

The shoulder isn't the usual 60 degree taper type of the steel bolts [and I'm wrong to say the alloy is a different size etc - I'm thinking of Xm's!!]. Shows what I know about my Xantias!!

The type you'll need is a 'normal' type bolt head with a flat shoulder with a large shoulder:

Seen these type on Pugs too, so there'll be plenty to choose from in the breakers etc...

Andrew
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I think you need matching bolts for alloy wheels. If I use the steel spare on mine, there is a flat washer to be removed from the bolts before fitting the steel rim.