ABS fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevenlizuk
My Cars:

ABS fault

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me of a simple test to detect if and ABS sensor has died on the car.

The warning light on the dash came on yesterday and is on full time.
I am assuming a dodgy sensor but don't know how to check them.

Naturally, being a Xantia owner I own a multi-meter, will it help me this time?

Cheers Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The simplest basic check is to put the meter over the sensors and whichever one is different; there's your culprit.
Only problem is that often the cause is an internal break and in these cases as soon as you move it to do a test, it often shows up as being OK.
The nearside front is the most common one to fail for some reason or other.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Thanks Alan,

That sensor was replaced a couple of years back.
Could be the sensor that takes the worst of the weather being at the kerbside?
Thanks
Steve

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Steven,

You want to set your multimeter to read resistance ( ohms ) for this test. As Alan said they all want to give around the same reading.
You can also carry out a voltage check but the wheels need to be spinning to do this.
Also worth checking the reluctor rings on each hub for missing teeth or foreign bodies and the gaps between the sensors and the rings.
If all these check out OK then you should start looking at the ABS ECU and associated relays ( thats when the fun really starts )

HTH

Gammy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The ABS is constantly monitored by its computer which communicates the results to you via the warning light. As your light is never going out it must be a fault that shows when the system is static. I think the static test is simply a continuity test of the sensors - so faults with the toothed wheels, gaps between the sensors and the toothed wheels etc are not in issue.

Meter the sensors - the chances are the culprit will show as an open circuit - so will be obvious - but record the resistances which should all be very similar.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usualy its the cable at fault where it is constantly flexed,on the fronts every time the steering is turned,on the rears every time the suspention arm moves,the wires become fractured in side the outer sheath
regards malcolm
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Thanks all for the help,

The light ha ssince gone out soI 'm going to have to wait for it to fail again to look for the problem.
I have a friend who works in a garage with access to diagnostic gubbins, but his wont work on cits or pugs as they change their software every year or so. Typical.

Chhers again,

Steve