Do I need a pump?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Do I need a pump?

Post by Stempy »

I have a drip of coolant coming from the right hand side of the engine on my Xantia V6 :cry: Can I assume that the water pump has sprung a leak? It's a bit hard to see quite where it originates from as it's all under cover but I'm sure the pump is located down there somewhere. Anyone else had a leaky pump on a V6?
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I thought it was driven by the cambelt! on the left hand side of the engine :?
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm not sure where you find the pump on the V6 but on all 4s it's cambelt driven.
I was once caught out with a leak I thought was coming from the pump, so did a cambelt, tensioners and pump change. Ordered all the bits and then discover that the leak was from an elbow in the hose where it returns to the pump which was caused through grease from the CV boot being splattered onto it thereby causing it to go soft and collapse as well as perish. I replaced all the parts (I needed the practice) :roll: :wink: and discovered the leak as I was reassembling. Fitted a heavier elbow and I've lived happily ever after, but I always suggest it as a possible cause whenever I find someone with a mystery leak.
In my case, it leaked after it was stopped for a few minutes which was logical when you think about it as this hose is on the intake side of the pump and as such doesn't get the pressure when running that the rest of the system gets. It can also be a great source of inexplicable air getting into the system also.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
goldfinche
My Cars:

V6 pump

Post by goldfinche »

HI yes it is driven by the cam belt and I believe that there was a advisory saying that if the pump was weeping than there was a modified pump and this should be fitted. Unfortunently I dont know when this was implemented. There does not seem to be an awfull amount of info available.
When a cambelt is done then it is advised that all the rollers/pump is replaced at the same time.
I am not looking fallword to that!!
Perhaps we could pool any info we can find, it would be a great help.
Cheers and best of luck.
Geoff.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

When I did the cambelt on a Pug 406 V6 (same engine) at just 50k miles, the water pump (which is indeed driven off the cambelt on the RHS of the engine) was weeping quite a lot, and hence was changed. The rollers were fine, so I left them, as rollers should be able to do 100k.

Given how much of a mare the job was to change the belt, changing the water pump was insignificant!
This is not a signature.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Details from PR-net Xantia listing :

0290 01 231050 WATER PUMP GASKET WATER OUTL TANK INJECTION ES9J4
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 310500.gif
01 - 1201 C7 - WATER PUMP INJECTION ES9J4 UNTIL RPO No. 08441
01 - 1201 F2 - WATER PUMP INJECTION ES9J4 SINCE RPO No. 08442
02 - 1206 A7 - WTR PUMP GASKET INJECTION ES9J4
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Thanks as usual to all, my engine has done 86,000 miles now and as far as I know has never had a new cam belt, so taking this into consideration I think I will have cam belt, pump and rollers changed. If it turns out to be a leaky hose then so be it, the belt is due for change anyway. I don't really have the time or enthusiasm to do this job myself so it looks like I'm gonna be poor again.

Lexia ponce

Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

:shock: Well I got a quote from my local friendly Citroen dealer who said they would be happy to take £870.24 of me to change the belt and pump, I told them I would think about it ( for about a nanosecond ). My usual man is unfortunately very busy and can't do it untill July, but I know he would be half that price. :?

Lexia ponce

mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well I got a quote from my local friendly Citroen dealer who said they would be happy to take £870.24 of me to change the belt and pump
You have to be kidding?
£870 just for a belt and water pump?
Is that with or without VAT, i sure hope thats included !!!!

Im rather shocked!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Stempy -

I wonder if you could submit a few images of the live-situation down the ES9J4 engine bay - at cambelt area.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The Citroen price is inclusive of VAT, they said it would be a full days labour to do it. I didn't ask what the hourly rate was, but thankfully my local chap says he can now fit me in next week.

I could submit photos but there would be nothing to see as that area is so well enclosed you would need to take the engine half out to get in there, one reason why changing the cam belt is such a time consuming and difficult job.

Lexia ponce

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

jeez

Post by jgra1 »

over £800 for a belt.. :shock:

mine V6 has done 70K (has Full History) , and the handbook seems to say the 75k service is 4.6 (garage) hours :(

I always do my own work, but .. hmmm should i this time.? Sounds like the belt and the full service could be very expensive!

and the belt has to be tricky, if it really is 13 foot long lol!

what to do...

I have a few months to think about it..
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Does anybody's Cit manuals suggest that the belt be tensioned with an "electronic tensioner"?

The Pug manuals suggest electronic tensioning on many of the 4-cylinder engines, so I guess something similar on V6's.

My cousin had a V6 Cavalier, and his main dealer mate fitted the belt as a cash-in-hand job, but still took the car in to work to tension the belt on the electronic device.

Is it really that important...???

It would certainly explain the stupid pricing.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Stempy wrote::shock: Well I got a quote from my local friendly Citroen dealer who said they would be happy to take £870.24 of me to change the belt and pump.
Having done this job, that sounds about right for a dealer price. The belt is something like £55 genuine, and the pump is £80 genuine. Along with a set of tensioners (£20-£30?) and a gallon of coolant, there's nearly £200 gone already, and you haven't even started on labour.

And yes. It's a biiiiig long belt:

On a tatty old BX bonnet for size comparison.
This is not a signature.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well it's done. Final cost 800 smackeroons on the dot. Done by my trusted local guy, the majority of the cost was parts, all genuine cit, he replaced everything that moved i.e. belt, tensioner, pump and rollers and some special bolts as both the pump and tensioner have been redesigned.

The original Cit dealer quote of £870 didn't actually include the rollers so no doubt I would have got a phone call, as one of them had a squeaky bearing. I reckon I would probably have been looking at nearer a grand by the time they had finished.

Shame I've got to drain my nice new coolant to change the matrix soon :( .

Lexia ponce