intermittant speedo fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tanto
My Cars:

intermittant speedo fault

Post by tanto »

hi guys

i have a strange speedo fault

when driving along the speedo will show correct speed then after a while it will drop to zero and stay there for a while before it starts showing the speed again

it can be ok for a while or do it several times in a minute it only started doing it tonight while driving home from my parents place

what would cause this and is there a simple fix?

thanks tanto
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v

if at first you don`t succeed get a bigger hammer
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sounds like your car has the electronic driven speedo,in which case pull the plug off of the transducer which is behind the gear box end of the engine,where a speedo cable would normaly be fitted,clean the contacts put some vasalin or grease on them and refit the plug
regards malcolm
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I had the same fault. Turns out it was the Hall sensor in the gearbox that was faulty. Nice easy job. 1 x 11mm spanner and 5 mins. You'll find it on the top of the gearbox housing right above where the right hand (longer of the two) driveshaft comes out.

One tip though. Make sure you jack up the front of the car level, if you jack the left hand side up by itself to gain access, you get quite a bit of gearbox oil come out when you remove the old sensor - well, I did anyway!
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Whats the spanner for, I just pulled a rubber pin out and then lifted the transducer out.

Dave
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Mine was held in with an 11mm bolt.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Depends if you remove just the transducer or the transducer and the drivegear at the same time.
This is not a signature.
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I wish I'd known that. lol Oh well, I know the new drivegear that i've put in is good now anyway!
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

so if i need to replace this hall sensor or transducer then where can i get one and how much will it cost for a replacement

thanks tanto
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v

if at first you don`t succeed get a bigger hammer
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

tanto wrote:so if i need to replace this hall sensor or transducer then where can i get one and how much will it cost for a replacement

thanks tanto
I think having a phone around scrappies or the like is a good idea. Someone mentioned that they are around 50quid new! Also I think there's more than one type of sensor, so it's worth checking that too.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

before you chuck your dosh away just try cleaning the terminals first,as i have fixed a couple by doing this
regards malcolm
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

citronut wrote:before you chuck your dosh away just try cleaning the terminals first,as i have fixed a couple by doing this
regards malcolm
Deffo agree with this! Didn't work for me tho :(