Speedo drive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaz
My Cars:

Speedo drive

Post by Gaz »

Dear all,
I have a '93 1.9TD SX Xantia. Recently I have noticed a clicking noise in time with the speedo needle bouncing on the clock. You can hear the clicking for the first couple of miles only at low speeds and more pronounced when the car is cold. The needle bounces below 30mph but then evens out after that, it just vibrates slightly. I've had a look in the haynes manual to find out if its a cable or a sensor with motor but it is particularly useless. Can anybody tell me the particular set up for my car. It looks like the typical warning of a frayed cable prior to breaking so I'd like to know in advance. Also, how hard is the job (if it is either type) in terms of hours etc and whether there are any inside tips that normally fly about on this board. Thanks
Gaz
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Hi Gaz
Quick way to find out which it is ... drive the car backwards at a reasonable speed, say 10 mph or so.
If it's a cable drive, the needle will stay stuck to its stop, because it's trying to go into negative speed.
If it's a sensor system, it will register positive speed because it is counting impluses. It doesn't know if they are forward or backward impulses.
By the way, the odometer reading will fall if it's cable, but continue to rise if it's a sensor, but you need a long road to find this out!
Jamie