Crazy tach

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Crazy tach

Post by oscarloco »

Hi folks

My tach seems to have catched a cold. Everytime there is very cold or humid weather, it either starts moving up and down from idle to 2000 rpm or sticks around 2000, even at idle. Of course, the engine is at idle but the needle says otherwise.

Odd thing is, the engine is going slower and eventually catches up with the tach. Above 2000, all is normal.

Could this be only dirt? or is there something else?
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If both engine and tacho are erratic - your first check should be the TDC sewnsoer and its connectors/wiring.
The TDC sensor is located pointing downwards on the starter ring gear on the bellhousing. The first connector is within some 0.5 meter of the sensor cabling.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

AndersDK wrote:If both engine and tacho are erratic - your first check should be the TDC sewnsoer and its connectors/wiring.
The TDC sensor is located pointing downwards on the starter ring gear on the bellhousing. The first connector is within some 0.5 meter of the sensor cabling.
Engine is ok. Sorry, my brain has apparently shut down and isn't traslating to good from spanish to english.

The engine works ok. You can hear it very steady. Only the tach makes those crazy things. I suspect something related to humidity as with high humidity (like we've been having here) it starts making all kind of funny things. As the car's interior warms up, it returns to normal.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)