Which oil?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Which oil?

Post by LeeDJC »

I'm about to change the oil and filters etc in my xantia. I've got a 1.9D, now on 114k. What oil is best to use with this engine? I don't mind paying for a half decent oil, but nothing extortionate.
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Not 100% sure on the grade, is it something like 15-40 and im sure ive even used a 10-40 once without any noticeable difference (not 100% sure on those numbers though)

.....depends how long the oil is going to be in there.... I used the very expensive stuff and now have moved to the cheap stuff and I dont see the difference, apart from a thinner wallet :evil: ... for under a tenner you cant beat it but my changes are done at every 5k so its not in there for too long really, however if you leave it for much longer periods then it may be best to spend a little more.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

mezuk you are 100% spot on 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

To add my tuppence to this:

Expensive oils are pointless in an XUD. The standard oil change on these engines is 5k miles, and mineral oil is fine. Whilst synthetic oils claim to last longer and have a longer drain interval, the amount of deposits the engine generates can't really be altered, and hence you should still drain at 5k. So what's the point in expensive oils....?

15w-40 mineral all the way.
This is not a signature.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

I disagree with the last comment re: mineral oil. I would use a semi synthetic for reduced start-up engine wear but still change it every 5K. Semi's are available now at less than a tenner so it won't burn a hole in your pocket.

Gammy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

How does synthetic oil reduce engine startup wear then?

The only thing that synthetic oil does is to stay in grade longer. It will still drain down out of the oil galleries just as fast as mineral oil.
This is not a signature.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Well, the oil debate is really an oily subject :)

I would say that the startup wear is reduced because the oil is typically thinner and starts being effective earlier.

In warm climates like Portugal it shouldnt make a BIG differente but in colder places, I would prefer semi-synthetic.

I always put Fully Synth Visco 7000 in my Hdi.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

fastandfurryous wrote:How does synthetic oil reduce engine startup wear then?

The only thing that synthetic oil does is to stay in grade longer. It will still drain down out of the oil galleries just as fast as mineral oil.
I read this and smirked to myself. You are 100% correct. You may go and buy the most expensive fully synthetic magnawhatsit slicktron 0w50, and it still won't matter a jot. If your engine is a dirty diesel, then the same £30 gallon of oil will get as dirty, and require changing at the same time as the £10 one. The only thing that might help you is a bigger, more efficient filter, or 'scrubber', as I use on my work machines. But then why worry? £10 every 5k won't hurt, will it?
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

It's an uphill struggle to convince people that we are subject to intense propoganda from manufacturers of consumeables..... filters/oils/tyres etc. all claiming to be better than the next .

If it meets the specification of your vehicle manufacturer..... why pay more??
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I'm getting pretty good at this info lark :lol: and since I have very little to do at work and always check the forum....say.....every 5 minutes I'm sure I cant post a reply before any of your wipper snappers turn the computer on :lol: hehehe

Of course being new to diesels and just over 18 at the time, I didnt have much in the way of experience (however I do feel Im starting to be as clever as Anders 8) but I dont like to brag :P ), the turning point for me was after a year and a bit of buying the expensive Magnatec stuff for the ZX and once for the Xantia the 2nd change for the Xantia ended up with the brand new expensive oil in the boot and there was no way I was going to pay another near £30 for the same change :evil: so I went and picked up a cheaper one for about £8 with a litre more and will make sure my BIL and obviously my mother uses the exact same cheap oil (although I will be still doing the services on both). Now realising from education and using the stuff the price really makes no difference certainly in these XUD's but in my defence :wink: the reason why I used it to start off with was because I was doing 40,000 a year and wanted the ZX to be fully maintain without any unexpected engine (expensive) problems. :roll:
Last edited by mezuk04 on 12 May 2006, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

expensive oil has more detergents in it to clean deposits from the inside of the engine. Cheap oils dont have so much of these. Mineral oils of the same grade all lubricate as effectivly as each other, all you have to do is buy cheap oil and change it more frequently.
i change mine about once every 6 weeks as the engine runs so much smoother with fresh oil......
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

So, in short, the answer is 15/40 - not expensive stuff, but make sure it's changed every 5-6k?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Lee, I think that pretty much somes it up laddy 8)
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

mezuk04 wrote:Lee, I think that pretty much somes it up laddy 8)
Sweet :D That was what I was hoping for! I don't mind changing oil regularly!

The other question is.........(lol) What about the oil filter? Changed with each oil change, or every other change? Also does brand make a difference, or are they pretty much all the same?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I do believe its best to change them when you do the oil change since its quite surprising how much oil the cannister holds and I imagine it as it stays in place for longer the less and less it performs so for the sake of about £4 and probably an extra 3mins of removing it then I would say to change it at the same time.

Cant comment on brand but I have used just the local motor spares shop supplies for about a year and a half now and have not had one problem.