Accelerator Cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveW
My Cars:

Accelerator Cable

Post by DaveW »

As the one fitted is about to expire shortly, I will soon be fitting a replacement accelerator cable to the Xantia 1.9TD.

Any pitfalls to look out for ?
Any tips to make the job easier ?

Bosch pump.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
Crinkle Cut Jasper
My Cars:

Post by Crinkle Cut Jasper »

Hi Dave,
I did the accelerator cable on my '95 td a few weeks ago (just before my timing belt snapped...... :cry: )

I picked up an accelerator cable kit from a local motor factors. Its supposed to fit citroens, pugs etc and comes with loads of bits & pieces and needs cutting down in length but at only £13 who can complain :lol:

The job itself is a little bit fiddly at the pedal end. Unclip the carpet-y trim bit above the pedals and the lid for the manuals. After skinning my knuckles a few times, I found it easier to unbolt the pedal itself (dead easy) and totally remove the cable connector at the end of the pedal and replace it with one from the kit. Then once you have removed the original cable, feed the new one up through the bulkhead and out into the engine bay. I found that I had to pull the entire original cable out through the bulkhead just leaving a hole, but thats ok cos the kit had the right bits to fill it.

Cut the cable to a similar length to the original. I found that the little nut that comes with the kit to attach it to the injector pump was rubbish so I went to the nut & bolt shop & got something much sturdier!

Once its all in place you just need to set it up so that when you press the pedal, something happens to the revs! Its very easy and just a case of trial and error.

The whole job takes about 30 mins and thats with a brew and the missus bending your ear about taking the kids out! :lol:
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for that.

It looks like a straightforward job and I wasn't anticipating any problems, but with these cars and the very poor quality of the Xantia Haynes book ..................

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon