Xantia hdi Fuel economy & fuel brand.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The statutary accuracy for dispensing 5l of fuel is +- 25ml, i.e. +- 0.5 per cent. (better for larger quantities), which will be swamped by other factors.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

My first car was a 1300 OHV 309. Filling up with the then Shell Super Unleaded (as opposed to Premium) used to get me an extra 4-5mpg, and a LOT more poke.

However, my last car - 405TD - and current - 406 petrol turbo - both seem to prefer Texaco fuels. More mpg and better running. Both have a definite dislike for Shell fuels, especially Optimax in the 406. Both however run well on Esso fuels.

I agree on the BP Ultimate factor too. The 405 ran better on it, but drank more if it too, which defeated the object in my mind, especially when it costs so much more. I see no difference at all on the 406 using Ultimate.

The 406 runs slightly better on Total's Excellium brand, but not enough to justify the extra cost over and above the regular 95 RON stuff.

Both cars run like dogs on most supermarket brands. I avoid these like the plague. I think so far only Morrisons has proved any good (diesel and petrol). I remember reading somewhere that Morrison's is supplied by BP. I don't know how true it is, but it certainly performs better than most others for me.

I guess one other thing that nobody has mentioned is regional variations. Ther will obviously be variations in local refineries we are being supplied by - or the filling station you visit - and this may have a bearing on fuel quality. There is a fixed tolerance for the pumps, but what is the tolerance for ensuring the octane rating remains consistent...???
XantiaJon
My Cars:

Post by XantiaJon »

I agree speedo's are out, using a Sat NAV or Road angel, you can get a very accurate figure. My Xantia Speedo show's about 6% higher. My previous car a petrol C5 was spot on.
Xantia HDI 90, W reg. 80000 Miles.
Peugeot 205 GRD, E reg! Speedo stuck at 411000 miles! Still going strong
madmanbob
My Cars:

Post by madmanbob »

"Speedos may not be 100% accurate but any error would be consistent so you shouldn't get variation in mpg figures.
Different driving styles, different fuel station pumps, different brands of fuel would have more of an effect. "
Only if you had tyres that didn't wear!
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive which lives in the Dordogne. Previous: XM Diesel, C3 HDI 92 bhp, CX DTR Turbo2, BX TZD Turbo, CX D, GSA, GSA estate, 2CV
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Would just like to say Asda Diesel about 550 till reserve light sometimes less. Shell diesel 600-650 till reserve. Hell of a difference don't you think. The only reason I found this out was the last two fills have been Shell (my wife used to work next door to an Asda before now). Anyway it didn't twig that it was the fuel at first until I remembered reading this post. We worked out it will be cheaper to fill up with 99.9 diesel instead of 96.9 diesel. And we have been using Asda Diesel for the last 2 years. :oops:
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

I'm with Alec on that one.

Using big-name branded fuels I get 450 miles out of a tank (not bad for a petrol turbo, eh?).

I've had supermarket fuel in this car, and had less than 400 out of a tank. And the car was slower too.

Work pay me a mileage allowance, so I have the option to shop around for my fuel, (the less it costs me, the more I get to keep) and I still won't use the cheaper supermarket stuff.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Petrol expands a fair bit when hot, much more than water, and is sold by volume, not density.
It’s a good idea to get it from a place where it’s cold.
With the wide variations of temperatures that we get here, it looks like the places with the cheapest fuel are also those with the warmest fuel.
Touching the metal part of the nozzle where it connects to the rubber hose gives a good idea of the temperature of the fuel.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

I work for a Petrol Company part time, and i can tell you that Supermarket fuel is generally not as good as from a proper garage.

For example, we have tank cut offs, so when the unleaded tank hits 600litres left, it stops, no more fuel is allowed out to stop crap coming from the bottom of our tank and into yours. Most supermarkets let it go dry, so crap can get in your tank. Also the company i work for put extra additives in, which is why some of you are getting better performance/economy, even though Esso supply Tesco with there fuel, the Esso one will be looked after better and have extras in such as engine cleaning agents.
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

That's interesting Quackers. I work for Sainsbury's and all our fuel is supplied by BP but they insist on driving unmarked tankers. I'm sure Sainsbury's would be happy to have them turn up in their branded tankers and dispell some of the myths about supermarket fuel being sub standard so it must be BP's decision. Wonder why that is?????
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

Jshodgson wrote:That's interesting Quackers. I work for Sainsbury's and all our fuel is supplied by BP but they insist on driving unmarked tankers. I'm sure Sainsbury's would be happy to have them turn up in their branded tankers and dispell some of the myths about supermarket fuel being sub standard so it must be BP's decision. Wonder why that is?????
Do not know, but the guy i work with who told me this has worked in petrol stations for the last 8 years for both Esso and Shell, Customers occasionally comment they get more miles out of our fuel than the supermarkets. Do not know if things have changed in recent years. If it is sub standard, would you want BP plastered on the product if you were BP?