Xantia steering pulses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

swiss_steve
My Cars:

Xantia steering pulses

Post by swiss_steve »

Has anyone come across 'pulsing' or 'surging' in the steering wheel whilst taking long bends (left or right)?
Equally, has anyone found their power steering seriously lacking when cold in the mornings? This disappears after the engine has warmed up some 15 minutes or so, later.
I fitted all new (pattern) spheres 12 months ago, including the front pressure reservoir and changed the LHM and cleaned filters, etc.
Any ideas whet could be causing this?
Cheers!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Could be down to the P.A.S pump, thats just by uneducated guess like.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Yep, I thought it might be a weak hydraulic ram on the steering rack, but that might explain only why it doesn't provide full hydraulic power to the steering when cold - could it be related or unrelated to the 'pulses' felt in the steering on long bends?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The Xantia power steering is powered by the hydraulic pump.

Early Xantias (->'95) had the BX FDV system fitted and a single output pump. Later Xantias have the 2-output pump - one output dedicated to the power steering.
The power steering is fed directly off the pump. The main accumulator sphere is not involved. Thats why you immediately get heavy steering on a stalled engine - i.e. no spare pressure available for the power steering.

The power steering consumes huge amounts of pressurised fluid to operate. This fact immediately passes any weakness in the system on to the driver's biceps :wink:

Standard advices are :
1) check pump beltdrive tension - must be incredibly tight.
2) check green LHM reservoir fluid level
3) be sure the pump can not take in air during a detoriated/perished rubber feed hose (the large one reservoir to pump)
4) be sure hose clamps over the studs on same hose are tight. Standard problem is a "service friendly" push/pull fit on the studs :roll:

If all this positively checks out good - the pump itself is tired.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what mileage has the car done,if the pump is week through high mileage it can cause this problem
regards malcolm
deian

Post by deian »

i have it too! but on one side more than the other, i put it down to worn bushes somewhere on one side
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Anders, are you trying to tell me in a roundabout way that I was the first person to reply :wink: and that 1ST reply may infact be totally correct :lol:

Feels a little smug
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi folks,
Just back from my working trip and seen the latest correspondence and tips.
My car has now done approx 160,000 miles and I'm the fourth owner, but can probably assume I'm on the factory original hydraulic pump. It's a '98 Temptation 1.9 TD Estate, just a few weeks before the Facelift model.
I'll check the belt tension, (although I know I have an automatic tensioner because I changed the aux belt a few months ago), hoses, etc., tomorrow to see if any of these may be the cause, otherwise I guess I'll have to spend more time in the gym or change the pump....
The 'pulses' appear to be equal on both sides (left or right bends) and the suspension components are in good shape, so I'm not so sure about the worn bushes idea.
Thanks for all the info, cheers,
Steve
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

mezuk04 wrote:Anders, are you trying to tell me in a roundabout way that I was the first person to reply :wink: and that 1ST reply may infact be totally correct :lol:

Feels a little smug
naaaahhh...
Shall we say that you were not exactly wrong ?

I didn't like the expression "P.A.S. pump" although it covers the function. But a PAS pump is by common means a standard power steering pump setup. Not covering the hydraulic sprung Citroen's special pump setup feeding lots more than power steering with hydraulic pressure.

(you cant always be right - even though you always try to twist it round your way :lol: )
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Just adding my own blend of humour.

So the Xantia only has the 1 pump?
It provides pressure/power (?) to the Power Steering, Brakes and the suspension?
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Er, Yeah, it does deliver to all those systems.

Unless I've missed the second pump located somewhere on the engine (particularly whilst changing the auxiliiary drive belt a couple of weeks ago :wink: ), then I would definitely say one hydraulic pump does the lot - on my car, at least (which is a standard '98 1.9TD with non-active suspension).

Now one can see why the pump has a lot of work to do and hence is a prime suspect for the problems I've been having. :)

Ciao!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

mezuk04 wrote:Just adding my own blend of humour.

So the Xantia only has the 1 pump?
It provides pressure/power (?) to the Power Steering, Brakes and the suspension?
Yes :wink:
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Deian - you mention that your steering feels heavier one side than the other.

I have both a BX and a ZX and to me they both feel a little heavier one side than the other. By slight I mean very slight - almost to be unnoticeable. The reason I believe is the external rack ram used by Citroen - which comprises of a cylinder with a rod emerging at one end. Inside the ram there is a piston attached to the end of the rod - and pressure is applied to each side when required to move the rod - and so assist the steering.

On one side the pressure is applied to the flat face of the piston. On the other side the face is in fact smaller as the rod is attached - and so the level of assistance is less. As I say this is very small and virtually undetectable.

If the effect is more noticeable then you could have defective rack pinion valve seals (internal). They usually wear slightly unevenly - so affecting one side before the other. I would expect this only on very high mileage cars.
jeremy
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I had the same problem. The steering works off low pressure and the pump was getting tired. I got a recon pump from Plheides (how do you spell it?). Took about 20mins to fit and the problem was sorted. The car will rise quicker and the steering will be a dream. My car is a 93 TD Xantia.

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi Paul,

Yes, I checked out their webpage (www.pleiades.uk.com) and it looks like they're a great source for this pump and other future parts. I also pass by the Cambridge area quite often on my travels.

Thanks for the tip and info, best regards,

Steve
Proud owner of two Citroens:-
'R' reg 1998 Xantia 1.9 TD Temptation Estate.
'N' reg 1996 ZX 1.9 TD Aura Estate.