Timing belt woes....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Crinkle Cut Jasper
My Cars:

Timing belt woes....

Post by Crinkle Cut Jasper »

I bought my very fine looking 1995 130k xantia 1.9TD about a month ago - flew through the MOT no probs :D . Next job, timing belt. Well that would have been the next job had the bugger not snapped as i was putting it away after the MOT.............. :cry:

And now it sits, 11 months mot, waiting......

So heres the question..... what would you guys recommend?

should I take the head off and have a ganders at the valves? or maybe another engine (second hand) or give it to the oily man with the hi-ab and let it rest in peace.

Any help would be appreciated...cheers
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

If you've got the space, and an understanding partner (if applicable), what have you got to loose? Damage might to to be too bad if you were parking up rather than flying down the motorway.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Depends on your DIY skills & facilities Jasper ...

You can get a real long way for small money if you can remove the head yourself - and then replace the bent valves (which there certainly WILL be :cry: )
Next "cheapest" option is to find a second hand warranted head for swapping. But remember to include new headgasket and headbolts in the cost ...
A complete engine swapping really is a major task requiring facilities for hoisting the engine.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Crinkle Cut Jasper
My Cars:

Thanks for the sppedy advice guys - it is much appreciated :)

Is removal of the head a straight forward job? I have done a head gasket on a petrol engine but this is my first time with a diesel :?

Thanks again
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Much the same job - except removal of the manifolds are a challenge. No room to get at the bolts. You must remove the radiator, support the engine at bottom, remove the 2 upper engine mounts, and then tilt the engine forward - observing no parts are stressed ...
Sounds easy in writing, but out there with the spanners in your hand ...

Radiator is the first challenge. Try not remove the hoses from the radiator. Instead remove radiator with hoses - i.e. disconnect hoses at engine.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its a lot easier than the 2.1 td head, but does require a certain amount of dexterity. Takt the rocker cover off first and see if the camshaft is in three pieces, if so you probably have valve damage. If so, its better to take it to a reconditioner as in addition to re seating the valves, the clearances will need setting, which is a lot easier if you have a selection of shims. You should be able to get hold of a secondhand camshaft...or maybe a complete head!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

or..

hire or buy (and sell) a hoist, pick up a good TD engine, secondhand from any of the many vehicles that use the 1905 TD, just swap.

it should take no more than 8-12 hours and isnt as hard as it sounds... I have done about 4 swaps, all have gone according to plan

i have sold at least 2 TD engines, both less than £100

look on ebay? 306, 406, 405, xantia, ZX etc

John

( i agree that finding and fixing and engine that you know was ok is a good move, but on an old car with plently of spare working engines available, sometimes a straight swap s best) you can always buy an engine from domeone who will let you 'run' the engine first.....
Crinkle Cut Jasper
My Cars:

Hi again,

have taken the rocker cover off to find the camshaft in 2 pieces :(
Am guessing that the valves will be in pretty bad shape.

Would it be better (cheaper :wink: ) to buy a replacement cam & valves and get someone to do the job or buy a whole head from a breakers?

Any help would be appreciated.... Thanks
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Can’t you lumber the MOTter with vandalism ? Image
Current story:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19032
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Crinkle Cut Jasper
My Cars:

Thanks for the help fellas :)

Am thinking that I might end up doing an engine swap.

Just concerned about damaged pistons etc and if i put a replacement cylinder head on, it may not solve the problem.

Am currently getting silly prices for an engine from the breakers - one lot of pirates said i'd be looknig at £150-£200 just for the head alone.....! :shock:

Any tips for replacing the engine would be appreciated - the haynes boys seem to be rather unhelpful.

Cheers again
DomClarke

Post by DomClarke »

try www.hills-motors.com near Skelmersdale
Best to call em as don't seem to reply to emails, but my mate got a quote of £80 for a 1.9TD

Dom
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The problem is that while the damage seems limited to the camshaft its quite common for its bearing caps to be damaged as well. Caps and heads are bored together during manufacture and I don't think new caps are available. In any event they would have to be blanks.

Accordingly second hand caps are unlikely to fit properly.

Valves won't suffer much damage as their heads are parallel to the piston crowns - so all the impact force is transmitted straight down the stems and smashes the camshaft.
jeremy
Crinkle Cut Jasper
My Cars:

Thanks for the info - will give them a ring.

Jeremy, do you think a replacement head would be the way to go?