Strange 'whistling' or 'screaming' noise from C3

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Strange 'whistling' or 'screaming' noise from C3

Post by jack.dempsey »

My sister in law and her husband have been staying with us for a while. Today she said how her C3 occassionally makes a very strange noise - best describes as whistling or screaming - but added that it's not related to anything she can think off. She's tried going faster or slower, braking, turning, and such, but it doesn't change the pitch of the noise so they just accept the fact that it's going to make the noise for a while then stop as unpredictably as it started. I had a quick look under the hood, and considered various things but nothing obvious sprang to mind, particularly based on the description. Seems to happen when the engine has been running for some time - it happened most recently on the motorway on their journey here. My best guess is the electric fan....(although it seems to rotate by hand without any resistance). Anyone any experience of C3 fans. I remember one on a Pug 306 that used to resonate the front of the car when it kicked in - but that didn't whistle or scream.
They said it couldn't be done, so we didn't bother trying!
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I'd be tempted to let it tick over on the drive and check on the fan when it eventually cuts in - if no noise then at least you can eliminate it from the investigation.

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k