Converting xantia into trailer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

But.

You will still have to purchase a coupling, and some box section steel to go to the coupling, and it will be a massive amount of work to cut the body off the Xanta.

I would have said that the old caravan is a much better idea. You then have (some) suspension, a tow bracket, plug for lights, some rear lights... You even have the caravan parking jacks to keep the trailer level when not in use.

An old 10' caravan will be a tenner at the very outside, and the bodywork and interior can be removed in no more than a couple of hours (believe me... I've ripped 3 apart now)

You also then have about £40 worth of aluminium to weigh in, and a load of wood to make a fire with.

Overall cost for the project.. £30 profit.
This is not a signature.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

It sounds like you're handy with a MIG if you're contemplating this Xantia cut down, so why not use your grinder as well to create your own spec trailer off a caravan - you'll get the right one for nowt from the free ads free to collector section and will do us all a favour removing another off the road!! :wink:

Get one before TopGear do a few more episodes...

Andrew
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

MIG? Never used one in my life, lol! I was going to use my big grinder to cut it up. Done it before with a couple of Pugs without too much hassle!
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

LeeDJC wrote:MIG? Never used one in my life
So how did you intend to connect up the drawbar etc? Remembering that there isn't a flat surface to be found on a car body to be able to bolt to.

Methinks you really need to go for the dead caravan option. The fact that you already have the Xantia is fairly irrelevant.
This is not a signature.
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

fastandfurryous wrote:
LeeDJC wrote:MIG? Never used one in my life
So how did you intend to connect up the drawbar etc? Remembering that there isn't a flat surface to be found on a car body to be able to bolt to.

Methinks you really need to go for the dead caravan option. The fact that you already have the Xantia is fairly irrelevant.
Damn, that puts pay to that then.

As I was going to cut up the xantia anyway when I've stripped it down it wouldn't have been too much hassle. But, I thought I would prob be able to bolt the bar on.

Oh well, I was swaying toward the caravan option anyway, seemed much easier lol

Thanks for your help guys :)
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The draw bar - towing bar - or towing triangle - is simply bolted to the underside of the chassis. Exactly like you did years ago when fitting a towball to most cars. Made up of u-hape steel bars. Very easy and cheap. A standard tow coupling is available at some $15 - no big deal.

MIG welding ? Only perfectionists would invest their time in such bothersome work making up a trailer. Its a powerdrill and a bag of rivets - and perhaps some chassis sealant :D
Steelsheets ready painted in correct colour will be available plenty from the rest of the chassis.

Guys - its not a showroom car restoring job 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Yeah, but it has to be reasonably strong and durable. AND SAFE!!

Seriously! The police round this part of the world just look for this kind of thing to get all clever about...

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

andmcit wrote:Yeah, but it has to be reasonably strong and durable. AND SAFE!!

Seriously! The police round this part of the world just look for this kind of thing to get all clever about...

Andrew
Yep -

And so it is here too. You got to have the vehicle/trailer MOT'ed, insured and licensed. Reading all the advice and law-text about such things is breath-taking and guts killing. But some good old common sense and a handyman approach will mostly do it no problem.

Had a colleague years ago with a nice dark blue Ford Granada Estate with towbar - and a rear half of a matching colour Granada Estate as trailer - MOT'ed and licensed.
"It was in essence just some work bending down the front part of the roof - adding a crosshatch of steelbars for strengthening here - and then some finishing work to remove any sharp edges and make it appear nice. Towing triangle bolted to the bottom underside."

I had a chance to look at it. Must admit though that he got some minor help from a MIG'er - but indeed the rivets had done much too. :oops:
But it really was as simple as that ...

BTW : an impressive look on the road ...
Here is an example using a DS :
http://www.retrogarage.dk/gallery/EuroCitro_2.jpg
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image