Converting xantia into trailer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Converting xantia into trailer

Post by LeeDJC »

I'm needing a trailer at the moment, and being as tight as I am, I'm thinking of using the rear floor pan, suspension etc from a knackered xantia that I've got sitting out the back. The only concern for me is the suspension.

At the moment the rear end is sat up in the air as the height adjuster is knackered. I guess once the rear end is cut away from the car the suspension will drop down to the lowest height.

I'm not actually bothered about having suspension for the trailer so it's no worries at that height.

Can anyone think of (or knows) any reason why this might not work, or knows how to rectify it?

Perhaps the rear rams will need locking(?!?) to stop any travel?

any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I would have thought a Xantia would be the worst possible car to use as a base for a trailer. As you say - it would have no springing at all.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

What's to stop you putting in some springs? justweld them in place.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

JohnD wrote:I would have thought a Xantia would be the worst possible car to use as a base for a trailer. As you say - it would have no springing at all.
I know it's not the best car, but it's the only one I've got to cut up. Not worried about having suspension anyway. It's not going to have anything heavy on it, just converted into a boat trailer for two plastic kayaks - so about 100kgs max!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You will end up with an impossible project. The Xantia has very little overhang at rear - making for a too heavy load on the towball of the towing car.

I'd thought of a similar project on a BX Estate. Trouble is that BX Estates are either total wrecks or still going strong around here :idea:
Same problem with the BX saloon : not enogh overhang to make a useful trailer.

BTW : re-using the suspension cylinder with a smartly fitted rubber block is as good as any mod including a coil spring. Keep the sphere as a lid against the rubber block.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Cool, thanks Anders. For what I've got in mind, I'll only need a small piece of chassis either side of the "axle" - perhaps 12-18"

As long as I can get that it's all good to go!

So, just a small piece of rubber? Sweet! :o)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Lee, butcher an old caravan?

should be able to get one free from someone...

then you have the tow joint, wheels, axle, rubber suspension, and even some electrics.

John
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

jgra1 wrote:Lee, butcher an old caravan?

should be able to get one free from someone...

then you have the tow joint, wheels, axle, rubber suspension, and even some electrics.

John
Hmm, a good idea.

I've seen a couple on ebay, but their either too big, or millions of miles away! After all I am all the way down in Cornwall. Maybe a wanted ad in the local free ads rag might turn up something? Worth a go I guess
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yes should think so..

I brought 2 for £70 with the idea of making a 4 wheel car trailer awhile back...
I would have needed to add strengthening etc.. but was looking forward to that project .. :( i had to many other jobs on and had to sell all as a kit a while later...
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Only problem with a caravan chassis is that it's big with little carrying capacity. They are designed to carry a light body so if you load up say a 2 berth base with earth / rubble or heavy stuff from DIY store it will probably struggle with such a weight. This is just my opinion would anyone like to back me up or disagree with me? :wink:
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Alec wrote:Only problem with a caravan chassis is that it's big with little carrying capacity. They are designed to carry a light body so if you load up say a 2 berth base with earth / rubble or heavy stuff from DIY store it will probably struggle with such a weight. This is just my opinion would anyone like to back me up or disagree with me? :wink:
I'd probably agree with that, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's only to carry two (or maybe 3) kayaks, so as to save me getting salt water over the Xantia all the time, and to save driving round with the roof rack on all the time (can't be arsed to keep taking it off). So it would only have to carry a nominal weight anyway.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Sorry Lee I missed that bit DOH!! :oops:
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Alec wrote:Sorry Lee I missed that bit DOH!! :oops:
No worries ;)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ahaaa ...

A small (short) trailer with a long towbar (towing triangle). That makes it a special purpose trailer - not just a special built trailer. Now I figure the Xantia saloon chassis still useable as a project then ...

An angle grinder, a bag of rivets, a power drill, a couple of lengths U-shape steel and a few bolts & bits - and you are done :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

AndersDK wrote:Ahaaa ...

A small (short) trailer with a long towbar (towing triangle). That makes it a special purpose trailer - not just a special built trailer. Now I figure the Xantia saloon chassis still useable as a project then ...

An angle grinder, a bag of rivets, a power drill, a couple of lengths U-shape steel and a few bolts & bits - and you are done :lol:
You've got it ;)

Hopefully it'll be pretty straightforward. I just wasn't sure about the xantia hydraulics, as I don't know a huge amount about them.