Xantia cat.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ms00

Xantia cat.

Post by ms00 »

Hi everyone,
My 1.8 Xantia estate 16v(i)'s cat went pop the other day. So I ordered one off the net. To my dismay I found the flange at the end of the cat was not parralel with the manifold flange (in fact there was about a 20 degree angle between the two). Tried fitting it but inevitably it leaked. Returned the cat and got a replacement and lo and behold exactly the same problem. Has anybody else suffered this problem and can they recommend a reputable catalytic convertor supplier?
Cheers
Mick
Mick
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I dont quite get it ?

The cat for a 1.8i/16V (XU7JP4) is an integrated pipe containing the front pipe before and after the cat - including the cat. If this does not match your engine - then you have got the cat for another type engine - or you dont have the engine you think you have :wink:

The cat for the 2.0i - or the the 2.0i/turbo is similar - but dont have the long pipe section after the cat.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ms00

Post by ms00 »

Yes you are right, it is an integrated cat. The problem is at the join between the the integrated pipe and the manifold. Here there are two flanges which are about 20 degreees of paralell.
Mick
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yeah - OK

You dont mention the vendor of the wrong type you've got ?

Chances are that the vendor have listed the 1.8i/16V wrong in their cross references - or they have fitted the wrong label to the part. Of course there is a chance of a series production fault too.

On the other hand - your engine may have the wrong exhaust manifold fitted (from another engine type) - and then another type cat fitted accordingly. This could have been done by a previous owner - or garage.

Easiest option is to try another vendor/supplier of the cat first off - before you start dismantling your engine further :wink:

BTW : you have been very accurate informing your vehicle data io the supplier ? Its not just "one of them sitrun xanae you nou".
Year/engine type/body type
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ms00

Post by ms00 »

Hopefully I've got to the bottom of the problem. I managed to speak to the manufacturer this morning and have apparently been supplied with the wrong cat. It would appear that my car is fitted with an earlier type of cat than its' engine number would suggest should be fitted. The later type has a lambda sensor fitted after the cat as well as before whereas my car should have the single lamda sensor before the cat. I will find out for certain when the replacement arrives on Monday. Fingers crossed!
Mick