xantia lhm change advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

_kid_

xantia lhm change advice please

Post by _kid_ »

Ive changed the LHM today (for the 1st time :D ) but ive a couple of questions

1) I tried taking the centre section (the circular bit with all the pipes) off without removing any pipes, i did manage this, but a small pipe came loose from the centre section, this was a pipe without a clip on it, it literally comes on and of with my hand, also a small thin plastic pipe was open towards the side of the reservoir. Needless as these were the only bits open, i put two and two together and simply put this back together, is this correct? I cant see any leaks or problems.

2) Whilst empty the LHM out of the reservoir, im sure i saw a cream coloured plastic piece of something, similar to a £1 coin, obviously i cant find it now, was this important?
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
deian

Post by deian »

1) I have that pipe coming off on mine too, I doubt it's under pressure, it's probably a return pipe, just put it back on and sleep well.

2) Maybe it was a chocolate coin?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I would suspect the little coin like plastic object would be the disc that fits at the bottom of the cylinder that the yellow level indicator disc floats in; shouldn't be a worry if it's not in there.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

alan s wrote:I would suspect the little coin like plastic object would be the disc that fits at the bottom of the cylinder that the yellow level indicator disc floats in; shouldn't be a worry if it's not in there.

Alan S
i was thinking along those lines re. float, but the float is working like a dream :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It wont stop it working, it probably stops the float falling out when you take the top off.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Peter.N. wrote:It wont stop it working, it probably stops the float falling out when you take the top off.
Correct, I would guess that having the little base plate would only be there possibly to stop the green stuff from slopping around inside the tube when you go round corners or if there was a sudden flush of it back to the tank if you were releasing the bleed screw at the accumulator and things like that; it won't affect its operation though. My guess is that it's there to allow the LHM to slowly get into the chamber where the float is that attaches to the level indicator.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

ok thanks nothing to worry about then :wink:

what about he first point re. the hose that came off, was this a return hose as suggested earlier? dont they have one of those crimple type clips?