Driveshafts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

triumphtoledo

Driveshafts

Post by triumphtoledo »

Doies anyone know if the driveshafts for a 1.0 / 1.1-litre AX are the same as similar engines 106 / 205?

Thanks!

Rob
deian

Post by deian »

I would say with 99% certainty yes, they are basically the same car!
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

I had heard the 106 ones were slightly longer? is this BS I wonder??!!

My N reg AX has a knocking noise when accelerating and steering: so I presume it is driveshaft wear!
deian

Post by deian »

it's been hammered in my head many times that the 106 is the same as an AX, i can't see why the driveshafts would be longer, if you look at the two cars side by side you will see what i mean they are the same car, but then again the saxo is in my opinion more similar to a106, so the ax may be a little different

i'm not one to say whether the driveshafts are longer or not, but if somebody asked me i'd say no, why would they be longer, they use the same engines, so they have the same chassis/drivetrain.

sorry i can't help more here, maybe somebody else can put some input here?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

deian wrote:it's been hammered in my head many times that the 106 is the same as an AX
Its the Saxo that is the same as the 106, obviously it wasn't hammered into your head enough times ;)

The AX is an older design and not as well built. I'd guess that the Saxo/106 is slighly wider than the AX, its definately heavier and better built.
deian

Post by deian »

So now we have the AX wider than the 106? Still, they had the same engines. So guessing the same driveshafts too?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

deian wrote:So now we have the AX wider than the 106? Still, they had the same engines. So guessing the same driveshafts too?
If the car is wider, and the engine and gearbox the same, the driveshafts have to be longer to reach don't they?

There are lots of parts that Peugeot and Citroen tend to share between different models but the driveshafts are not one of them. The CV joints and intermediate bearings are no doubt shared, but not the complete shafts, in fact each model tends to have quite a selection of driveshafts depending on engine/gearbox/abs/age.