Somebody killed my Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

PowerLee wrote:Just drive an older Ford at about 12 mph into something & BANG it will go off.
Or in some cases, get an early mondeo, and just stand on the brakes rather hard on some of that super-grippy road surface that's installed at junctions. I've heard that under "panic" braking, some cars airbags have been known to deploy... Just what you need when you're braking hard!
This is not a signature.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

fastandfurryous wrote:
PowerLee wrote:Just drive an older Ford at about 12 mph into something & BANG it will go off.
Or in some cases, get an early mondeo, and just stand on the brakes rather hard on some of that super-grippy road surface that's installed at junctions. I've heard that under "panic" braking, some cars airbags have been known to deploy... Just what you need when you're braking hard!
A lot of the early bubble shape Rover 200s got re called for that :wink:

A new SRS control unit was the fix for that issue.

Only ever had 2 airbags go off myself, One through an accident & one through messing about with a 9 volt battery :wink:
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I'm told its a scary experiance having the marshmellow go off in ya face. People suffering burns to their forearms etc.
It worries me how close my mum & other women drivers sit soo lose to the steering wheel!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

rossnunn wrote:I'm told its a scary experiance having the marshmellow go off in ya face. People suffering burns to their forearms etc.
It worries me how close my mum & other women drivers sit soo lose to the steering wheel!
Ive had an airbag save my life before & I wouldnt worry about slight burns to the arms.

All that happens & its very very quick.

SRS light comes on ( it does on a Ford system :wink: )

Orange flash around steering wheel,

LOUD bang,

Head hits airbag & airbag then deflates,

Loads of smoke & white powder.

A lot of the newer cars with smart airbags know how close the seat is to the steering wheel & adjust the firing of the airbag to help prevent injury.

I know my parents 2004 Mondeo has this seat position sensor, My mother sits really close to the steering wheel.

Also some newer cars ( including my 206 ) have dual stage inflation airbags, First stage for smaller impacts & BOTH stages fired for heavier impacts.

Heres a N reg Vectra airbag being set off by my mate with a 9 volt battery :wink:

http://media.putfile.com/Vectra-Airbag
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

:lol: That could have been my two lads #-o
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi Guys

Just an update on this.

I have been paid out already by the insurance company for the Xantia.
I have already bought a new car, in the end i got a 1997 Opel Omega CD Estate 2Li it has 134 HP so is also a bit more powerful than the Xantia i had, i was toying with the idea of another Xantia, but i do need a bigger car really, and i am not keen on the XM, so Citroen run out of options for me.

So thanks again to all of you that have helped me out in the past, i know more about the Xantia than any other car i have had, due to this excellent forum. so keep up the good work.

Thanks

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

:cry:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The new mondeo that hit it, litterly fell apart. The entire front corner was destroyed, headlight, grille, bumper, front suspension, bonnet & wing. The airbag never went off in that either.
Thats what makes it so much safer to be in a new car when you hit something- generally, the more modern the better. Although a lot more damage is done to the newer car its because its got properly designed crumple zones, where the impact energy is absorbed by the front of the car being destroyed rather than transferring all the shock to the driver...in a head on smash, a new Mondeo is a MUCH safer car than the E30, and a C6 is much safer than a BX, Xantia, or C5 although in a crash the older car will be less superficially damaged.

Modern cars are designed to give integrity to the passanger cell and allow the doors to still work after quire severe impacts.

I'd imagine if I hit anything modern in my Triumph, it would probably appear fairly undamaged compared to the modern car but the whole of the impact would be transmitted to me by the two big central chassis rails, rather than being absorbed by crumple before it gets to me-thats why people used to die in car crashes in much higher numbers than they do now.