Was leaking coolant now leaking current!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlanBP
My Cars:

Was leaking coolant now leaking current!

Post by AlanBP »

Ongoing saga with my 91 TZD estate.
After wrestling and replacing various leaky coolant hoses, refilling the car with coolant, I noticed that for the first time the battery was flat.
Connected my digimeter on amps scale in series with the negative terminal of the battery and noticed its drawing 6.95/7.00 amps with everything supposedly off (apart from the clock etc) As per standard practice, proceeded to remove the fuses one by one to find the offending circuit & Fuse 7 (rated at 30 amps) showed up as the circuit with the draw.
Checking my handbook this is the one which covers the central locking, interior lights, cigar lighter and radio feed. None of these, I would have thought have had wiring in the vicinity of where I was working? and been disturbed. I did however have the battery off the car for a whole week and it was after it was reconnected for 24 hours that it went flat. It was fine when first reconnected, it started the car on the button etc.
Does anyone know what could be drawing this sort of current with everything off. I tried the highly technical (ha - ha) technique of wiggling various wires in the area I was working on around the hydraulic pump, battery tray etc but the amp draw did not vary one jot.
Is there any way of isolating the various functions on that fuse circuit, eg disengaging the central locking, but keeping the other fuse controlled functions active??.
I have temporarily diconnected Fuse 7 to prevent the battery going flat again.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Alan