Air Con Pollen Filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
On my own 97 VSX, there were 3 screws holding it in. On this 99 MK2 xantia, the cover slides towards the bulkhead. Cover has 6 clips with open ends. Once you slide it off, it will be obvious how it goes back.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
birstall

Post by birstall »

Greg

On my Mark I Xantia, I remember that a faulty ignition switch stopped both the heater fan and the rear screen demister. Not sure about the wiring on yours.
To be absolutely sure, you should check where the problem is using a voltmeter before you dismantle the ignition (alternatively use a 12V bulb). Check if there's a live feed to the motor from the ignition. Then check if there's a feed to the ignition. If you get feed to the ignition but no feed to the fan motor then its obviously the ignition switch that's faulty.
The bit on the back of the switch is sometimes referred to as the "black box".
I got a second hand one from www.citroenparts.co.uk (very cheap) which worked fine. Note: don't email them as they sometimes have problems with viruses on their computer - much better to phone as you'll get a better response.
I've dismantled a couple of these and reassembled - don't do this unless you're good at telekinesis! Cleaning the contacts with methylated spirits can help, however the small internal bow shaped steel return springs can give due to fatigue and this might be your problem rather than just dirty contacts.
Just to emphasise again, I don't recommend dismantling the box unless it's a spare. They're very tricky to reassemble.

Pete
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Air Con Pollen Filter

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Pete,
I don`t want to take switch apart-- tried that once on a Bx-- didn`t like what I saw, lol. I just want to replace the actual contacts part of switch, at the bottom. Can you buy new ones ?.
What I need to know is;
1/ Have the frogs actually sorted this ignition switch business on the MK2. If not, why not.. Someone on this forum said they had.
Thanks,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Greg,

They have not sorted the switch itself.
The switch on the Mk II is the same as on the Mk I.
They have added a relay modification whereby the switch operates a relay to feed the blower, instead of having the high blower current pass through the switch.
The switch part does not come separately; it comes with the assembly that includes the barrel and key.
If you replace the switch part only, from a wreck; the cause of its failure, being the high blower current, is still there.
The relay modification did not coincide with the introduction of the Mk II, it was possibly a year later.
Finding posted by KennyW:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... p?p=117454

KennyW

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:17 pm Post subject: Heater problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Gang<

Just a little aside , while dismantling a Xantia Mk2 at the Scrappie today (Friday14th) I saw the relay fitted by Citroen for the problem encountered by earlier Xantia's. Fitted in steering column shroud, grey in colour.

But strangely enough when doing my Matrix!!!!!!!!!! I don't recall seeing one on my Xantia MK 2 .

There is only approx 2 mths diff. in manufacture.

This would suggest maybe mine was one of the last prior to modification.
(I've swallowed a dictionary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Regards

Kenny.