Xantia creaking at rear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

poker131

Xantia creaking at rear

Post by poker131 »

Hi,
Seem to have developed a creak from the back of the car (Xantia 1.9TD 1994). When I stop and get out it creaks when it starts to settle. Don't know whether it creaks when I'm moving. Had new spheres fitted 6 months ago and it lifts up quite readily and happily. Love the car so any help and advice much appreciated. Thanks
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I would try wiping some LHM onto the suspension cylinder rods. Carefully lift the suspension cylinder dust gaters and apply LHM to the cyclinder rod. They are probably dry causing the creaking. This can be done to the front cylinders as well, it can improve the ride quality if they are very dry as it allows free movement of the suspension.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

He's refering to the rear of the car isn't he ?

The rear suspension cylinders are of a completely different design to the front McPherson struts. They are the same as the type used in older models like CX and GS, and they are self lubricating from leakage oil.

They have a hollow piston with a long side and a floating pushrod with a ball joint, so greasing the pushrod shaft itself would not do anything.

Creaking coming from the back is more likely to be the rear suspension arm bearings, or perhaps the brake calipers dragging slightly.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
paulbx
My Cars:

creaking

Post by paulbx »

Take a look at ypur rear wheels they s/b | | but couldbe / \ . This is rear arm failure - a sympton is creaking on settling but also a "boing" noise (from the rear)as you get in say first thing in the morning.

paulB
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
deian

Post by deian »

is it possible to have one side of a rear arm failing?

i'm sure my drivers side is out more that the other side, and could this cause symptoms such as not driving striaght even though the tracking is done.

thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It is but, if one side is going you can bet your life the other one is on the way. Yes, it could affect the steering, but steering problems ar more often than not caused by uneven tyre wear, from one side to the other not necessarily uneven wear on one tyre.