Help - leaky xantia regulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

poker131

Help - leaky xantia regulator

Post by poker131 »

Can anyone help. Citroen Xantia 1.9TD (1994). I had new spheres fitted about six months ago. Since then, I seem to have developed an LHM fluid leak from around the Pressure Regulator at the front of the engine. Can't see any obvious leak. It seems to weep out from the join between the reg and the engine. A friend mentioned that there was a ball bearing in the regulator that could be causing the problem but didn't know any more than that. Can anyone enlighten me? It's costing a small fortune in fluid.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I'll have a shot at this one... when the sphere(s) were replaced the forced used on the accumulator sphere may have been sufficient to actually cause some movement in the regulator, which in turn caused some stress to the pipes which screw onto the regulator... I replaced 4 hydraulic pipes over 6 months on mine because the regulator wasnt bolted to the engine properly. So... check that the leak isnt from the hydraulic pipe fittings onto the regulator. The ball bearing that your friend refers too is located inside the regulator behind the pressure release screw... when releasing pressure from the system this (12/13mm) screw must only be slackened not removed or you will have the ball bearing fly out. I don't think this is related to your problem. Take a look here.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =regulator
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The obvious thing here would be that the new accumulator sphere isn't sealing properly, if you overtighten it or don't put the 'O' ring in properly you can end up with a leak. Removing the accumulator, checking the 'O' ring and replacing if required would be my course of action.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Lately some aftermarket suppliers sells new spheres with a wrong type seal fitted in the box : an O-ring seal.

The correct seal ONLY is a square section seal. You can even re-use the old one if you clean it.
Its not that simple you did not notice the old seal - left it in - and put the wrong O-ring seal on top of that ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
poker131

Post by poker131 »

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll try them all on monday and let you know how I get on. Cheers
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is the accumulator sphere sound? to test start engine and let it run for a couple of minutes after its reached normal height. Turn off the engine and sit in the boot. The car should sink then rise again after 30 seconds or so.

The importance of a sound accumulator is that it damps out the pulses from the pump (amongst other functions). Undamped these pulses may mean that LHM is forced past the seals at extremely high pressure.

Other sources of leaks are the high pressure pipes which can crack especially if they are not supported properly, pipe seals (may be wrong size, damaged, pipes strained to one side, or even the nuts can be loose).

Re-gassed spheres in UK are often supplied with an 'O' ring seal instead of the proper square section one.
jeremy