Cracks in sidewall of tyre

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

Cracks in sidewall of tyre

Post by drpau »

:o Decided to check out how much friction material I had left on my brake pads earlier and when I looked at my tyres on the front, they both have these cracks in :o Got the tyres last Feb. That doesnt look too safe to me. What does everybody think? They are Avon ZV3's,

99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I'd bin them!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they dont fail the MOT untill you can see the cord,so thats a good rule of thumb
regards malcolm
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

I got 4 tyres and tracking at Kwikfit for £143 so for £65ish I'd replace them for new.
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I would not use them. Have you checked your tyre pressures? It looks like you have wear on the outside edge but is bad to see properly. How many miles have they done? If not many i would think about contacting Avon as it could be a manufacturing fault. I used to work for Michelin in a manufacturing plant and I know that customer services would often examine used tyres with possible defects so it might be worth contacting Avon and see what they say. It is not the usual UV light causing cracking you get on old tyres.

Incase anyone is interested as to why the sidewalls crack on old tyres I will try to explain. The rubber has waxes added that protect the tyre from the UV light in sunlight. As a tyre ages the wax migrates to the surface of the tyre to keep replacing the wax that is lost while driving around. When you see UV light cracking on tyres all the wax has migrated and been worn off allowing the sunlight to damage the surface of the tyre. Yes I know I am sad :D
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

citronut wrote:they dont fail the MOT untill you can see the cord,so thats a good rule of thumb
regards malcolm
Before you can see the cord water may be able to penetrate to the steel fabric. This will cause the steel fabric to rust and swell which can 'unstick' the fabric from the rubber causing the tyre to blow out.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

I try and keep the pressures checked, according to the tread indicators they have worn quite evenly over the width of the tyre. Just a bit of a suprise as they are not very old (but I would say they are about a mm from the tread indicator). I did try and have a look for warranty info on Avons website but there isnt anything on there.

A blow out is a scary prospect...
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

phone them and ask if you can email them that picture.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Its not worth a possible risk to your life for the sake of driving on iffy tyres. :( Be safe, get them replaced :)

I found similar cracks on my old tyres :? and although they were a long way from being illegal, I replaced them all... Safety first. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Have them replaced but keep the old ones in the hope of getting your money back.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

BonceChops wrote:I would not use them. Have you checked your tyre pressures? It looks like you have wear on the outside edge but is bad to see properly. How many miles have they done? If not many i would think about contacting Avon as it could be a manufacturing fault. I used to work for Michelin in a manufacturing plant and I know that customer services would often examine used tyres with possible defects so it might be worth contacting Avon and see what they say. It is not the usual UV light causing cracking you get on old tyres.

Incase anyone is interested as to why the sidewalls crack on old tyres I will try to explain. The rubber has waxes added that protect the tyre from the UV light in sunlight. As a tyre ages the wax migrates to the surface of the tyre to keep replacing the wax that is lost while driving around. When you see UV light cracking on tyres all the wax has migrated and been worn off allowing the sunlight to damage the surface of the tyre. Yes I know I am sad :D
So it's like sun cream for car tyres !
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Although tyre black is used as a cosmetic dress up for tyres, does the fact that it's a coating on the tyre, mean that it helps protect a tyre from UV damage ?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Attend to it, get them replaced, but keep the old ones, and contact the manufacturer, and see what response you get it's better to be safe than sorry.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

UV causes surface crazing, the UV can't penetrate very deep into the rubber, it only affects the very surface. I've had tyres with surface crazing and been perfectly happy to drive with them in that state.

What you have however is most certainly not surface crazing, you've got what looks like quite deep cracking. Looking at where the cracking has happened, its in the same place on three different tread blocks, its a weak spot where the tyre is thin but also its an area of stress concentration. This looks to me like either bad design or a manufacturing fault. If you run a tyre overloaded or overinflated they overheat, this makes the surface of the rubber a sort of matt finish, I can't see that in the photo so my best guess is that you've got a duff tyre.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Ironic isnt it, I had the receipt for these about 3 weeks ago and can I heck find it now! Just checked my Citroen booklet now to confirm I havent been over inflating them.
When I find the receipt Im gonna get in touch with them, or maybe its best to go back to National tyre?