Last post

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skypilot

Last post

Post by skypilot »

This will probably be my last contribution, so I'd just like to say "thanks" for all the advice given regarding my ZX TD. It did 50k miles in 3 years, 128k in total, but the problems were piling up. Loss of power and fouled up injectors due to using veg oil - it could produce a smokescreen worthy of a WWII destroyer. Worn out springs and shocks, endless topping up of the radiator, a warped brake disc, a windscreen that looked like it had been grit blasted and too many battle scars from the car park wars and encounters with sheep and deer.

The investment required was just too much, so it's been replaced by a Mk4 Fiesta. Sacrilege I hear you yell, but the 1.25 Zetec is a gem of an engine and the ride and handling are good enough for my 60 mile daily round trip. Cheaper insurance, road tax, parts, servicing and hopefully better reliability too.

Good luck with keeping your Citroens going. I salute your indefatigability!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

but...but....its a FORD! It'll rot away should it ever rain! :lol:
I'm surprised about the amount of problems you've had, the TD unit is one of the most robust engines I know. Maybe you just unlucky & got a dud?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Congratulations, you've just increased your fuel bills, as far as I've heard petrol Fiestas don't run so well on vegetable oil based fuels ;)

That 1.25 litre engine in the Fiesta is the Zetec SE which was developed by Yamaha of all people for Ford. By all accounts it isn't a bad engine, but it just doesn't have the longevity of a XUD, in fact very few engines do.

To me it sounds like out of the frying pan, into the fire, buying a new car is almost always more expensive than fixing the one you've got. New cars come with their own faults and they develop them just as quickly as your old car does, if not faster and since its newer there will doubtless be more to go wrong with it.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Re: Last post

Post by BonceChops »

skypilot wrote:Good luck with keeping your Citroens going. I salute your indefatigability!
You make it sound like Citroens are heaps of junk that we spend every weekend trying to keep on the road. You bought a Fiesta to do 60 miles a day :shock: :lol:
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

For a fraction of what you probably paid for your Ford, you could have bought another nice ZX TD :)

For anyone interested, my neighbour is off to NZ soon so his "L" reg, dark blue ZX 1.9D manual will probably be up for sale';. It is in super condition, he has really looked after it well :D I will ask him what he's asking for it, and post more info on the "for sale and wanted forum" :) ....
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Moving from hydropnumatics to a ford :?:

As a political party states ‘forward not back’, which of course we all know means ‘back not forward’ quite appropriate in this case :shock:

Sound like most your problems were minor, the only non service items were warped disk and regular coolant topping up. surely it will cost you more to replace rusting ford parts.

Still good luck :D
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Thing is citroens are classed as cheepy, crappy, weird cars by most people maybe not the knew range but all before. And i can say that if it was not for my current situation i probably would never have even thought about buying one, Iv always stuck to jap cars in the past mainly nissans and toyotas which never break down no matter how much i abused them. My last car was a nissan and it was lucky if it got an oil change every 15 to 20k, I hardly ever done any other form of servicing to it, The same spark plugs were in it for 6 years. I done over 100k miles in it, and all i done was what ever needed doing to get it through its MOT every year. There was no timing belt to worry about as it used a chain which lasts the life of the engine(i cant see why all cars are not like this.) And the car still never broke down once! and the only reason i stopped using it was because its been rear ended and not worth fixing but the engine and major mechanics of the car are all still fine. How long do you think my xantia TD would last if i treated it this way?

Im actually starting to think iv got in over my head buying a xantia which needs so much servicing and its got that suspension to worry about. I just want a car you put fuel in and it goes, maybe change the oil once in a while when i can be arsed :cry:
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

_kid_ wrote:Moving from hydropnumatics to a ford :?:
No... he had a ZX... Steel sprung.

Still a retrograde step though. As James says, for very little cash this dead ZX (as all cars to eventually get uneconomical to repair) could have been replaced with a brilliant condition ZX rather than a fraud fester.

But then... each to their own.
This is not a signature.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well it's a shame to see you are leaving us, it would appear that you were unlucky with your particular ZX TD.

So I hope that its replacement does not f(i)esta any problems, otherwise it might require a (F)ix (O)r (R)epair (D)aily.
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 28 Apr 2006, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Everybody should be left in no doubt that Citroens are overcomplicated unreliable rot buckets that are nothing but trouble and are to be avoided!

That way those of us "in the know" can continue to buy our wonderful, comfortable, economical, reliable machines at rock bottom prices!! :lol:

Same applies to living in the North of England - By heck, it's grim up north!! :lol:

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well it appears that _kid_ has found one that has slipped through the (price) net !

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=18895