Hydraflush.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Bear in mind that hydraflush is not green - its an orange (yellowish?) colour, so you may already have a bit of hydraflush in your car...and going from hydraflush to LHM won't give a pure green colour due to the blending of 10% of orange coloured liquid.
So when I got my Xantia last year it could have indeed been filled with Hydraflush and left with it in....interesting!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
deian

Post by deian »

are there any disadvantages to leaving hydraflush in for too long?
CitroenNuts
My Cars:

Post by CitroenNuts »

Really shiny bits on the inside of the pipes
Also hasn’t the Hydaflush got a cleaning additive so in theory wont have the lubrication properties (or that’s what I would think)
Homer Simpson: Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

We had the hydracleanse discussion on the old forum. The problem is that we dont really know what it contains.
But surely its very similar to LHM in properties - it needs to be.

Note : A flushing does not mean literally that you flush a surface clean. In many situations a flushing is simply a shift from one type fluid to another type of fluid wetting components internally. This may take time according to fluid properties - as the LHM fluid film may be very durable. The "old" fluid film may contain all kinds of foreign matters - like any kind of dirt trapped in a greasy film. The theory then is that you flush out the dirt by shifting the fluid. And it works well.

IMHO the time/mileage limit for leaving the hydracleanse in the system is down to a limited "performance" of the hydracleanse fluid. I.e. the viscosity may not be temperature stable, and the lubing properties shifted towards flushing properties.

The time/mileage limit for the hydracleanse to possibly be a damaging fluid for the hydraulic system is a hypothetical limit. It was never thought as a hydraulic fluid and should therefore not be used as so. On the other hand it can not be directly harmful for the system - as this would show within the "allowed" limit for the fluid usage.
I'd say prolonged usage of the hydracleanse would simply degrade performance - i.e. the hydraulic system may perform weird on hot or cold temperatures - and *may* cause accelerated wear on seals and sliding parts.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image