Xantia drop links

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

kevin1962 wrote:If the drop links are going to fail after such a short time is there, at least, a way of dampening the noise?
Yes - replace the drop links :shock:
When you get your hands on the new droplinks, then pull back the small rubber gaiter on each ballink and inject all the grease you can - using a syringe. They will last considerably longer then.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
kevin1962
My Cars:

Post by kevin1962 »

Are there any problems likely to occur if I wanted to change a drop link myself. I'm not a mechanic but would like to have a go.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Easy to do.Just jack the car up & support with axle stands,take the wheels off,then you will see the drop links.They are secured with a nut on the top & bottom.Although this can be a bit of a pain to remove,so i cut through mine with a hacksaw.Took about 10 mins each side after i got the wheels off.Just a case of undoing/cutting the nuts off,removing the d/link & fitting the new d/links.I think that on the top & bottom of the d/links where the nut goes,there is a hex/torx opening on the end of the threded bar,so you can put the nut on hand tight,then put you hex/torx bit into the end of the threded droplink bar to stop it from turning when you tighten the nuts up. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
kevin1962
My Cars:

Post by kevin1962 »

Just one last thing - Using a bar wedged between the anti-roll bar and the sub frame; on the side that I think is okay, levering the bar pulls the whole car down. Whereas, on the side that I think is failing, it doesn't. By pushing-up on the bottom of the drop-links with just my fingers, one side (the problem side) the drop-link moves up and down easily and is springy. The "okay" side feels solid. Does this make sense?